Chapter 39: Deeper Game

The briefest hesitation in her step was all that betrayed Eliska when she came face to face with Tariq. Almost immediately she turned away from him, letting her gaze sweep around as if that's what she'd intended to do from the beginning. She hoped he would take cue from her and stop staring at her with wide eyes, the way he was now.

She turned her attention to Kasimer, who was watching her with dancing eyes. Hiding both a glare and a grimace, Eliska stopped in front of her brother, offering him a small bow. "You wished to speak to me?"

"Yes, please do sit."

Eliska settled herself in one of the plush, upholstered chairs that lay in front of Kasimer's wide ebony desk. Her brother settled himself back down into his own seat. "How are you feeling? No lingering symptoms from your illness?"

With her back to Tariq, his presence almost a real heat burning into her, Eliska allowed herself the luxury of thinning her lips since Kasimer was the only one who could see her. None of that showed on her face. "No, I am feeling perfectly healthy. Thank you for your concern."

He nodded gravely, face set in the serene expression he favoured when in public. But knowing him as well as she did, Eliska could see the hints at what he was really feeling. The way his eyes moved and the faint twitching around the corners of his mouth gave him away. Kasimer was enjoying this. Part of her was already plotting her revenge, something that she could deny and that Mother Zorana wouldn't punish her for.

"I know this is quite unusual, but I had thought I would discuss some potential matches with you. I would hate to find you unhappy in any marriage I arrange for you."

The sound of creaking would from behind her made Eliska look up for strength. Tariq had to learn to fade into the background and not react to things he heard if he was going to survive. The sound drew Kasimer's attention to him, a touch of mischief lightening his eyes. "Thank you, Akhtar. I see you've finished. You may head back now."

"Your Majesty." Tariq's voice was soft, the faint scuffing sound of wood on stone making it clear he'd stood.

Eliska didn't bother to turn around as she heard his footsteps retreat. When the door closed firmly behind him, she dropped her public face and glared at Kasimer. "What in the name of the holy spirits are you up to?"

Her brother raised his eyebrows. "Whatever do you mean?"

"Don't play games. I know you set this all up. It's obvious from the look in your eyes."

Kasimer dropped his masks and grinned at her. "You caught me, Flit. I'd heard about your little pet from Zina and Mother, and I must confess, I was curious about him. I thought I'd see what kind of man he is. He didn't do too badly. He would make a fine shadow, with some training."

Eliska narrowed her eyes. There was more to this than just curiosity. Kasimer never did things for just one reason, especially not when there was a risk to exposing the family's shadows. He was playing some kind of deeper game, but she didn't know what it was. "He's being useful. He has some contacts in the city that have helped our investigation so far, and he's been getting some interesting tidbits from the scribes."

She left things deliberately vague. Kasimer wasn't always aware of the specifics of every investigation led by the shadows, it just wasn't possible even if he'd wanted to, and sometimes Lizina and Mother Zorana decided it best he not know some things. It meant he reacted honestly to the outcome and kept him from feeling any additional guilt. While he'd sacrifice whatever he needed to in order to keep the country and their people safe, her brother would still agonize over it, even if it was clear it was their only option, something that had gotten him physically ill more than once. He was too soft sometimes.

Still, that's what made Kasimer a good Sultan. He truly cared for their people and considered the peace and prosperity of their country to be his chief responsibility. That was one of the reasons Tariq's anger and blindness to the real Kasimer irked her so much. If he could ever see the true face of her brother, she knew he'd give up on his hatred. Eliska swallowed a sigh. That wasn't likely to happen any time soon. Tariq was entirely too stubborn.

"So I've heard," Kasimer said, ignoring the silence that had stretched between them. "Even Zina has admitted he's doing well, and she doesn't praise people lightly."

Her sister's earlier words echoed in Eliska's head and she hoped Lizina didn't find out about this little meeting any time soon. Kasimer could be an extra bulwark of protection for Tariq, but it was just as likely to cause their sister to decide to get rid of Tariq early to avoid later complications from Kasimer. Lizina always hated things that made her job harder.

To change the subject, Eliska leaned back in her chair. "I spoke to Soyala at the Day of the Sultan ceremony. I wasn't sure if you had a chance to speak to her or not, but she seems quite happy. I'm relieved since she was a bit nervous about the marriage beforehand."

Kasimer smiled softly and nodded. "I was able to talk to her briefly. I am relieved. As much as I know we have the young men chosen for the girls in the family investigated, I still worry that we will have missed something. I don't want any of the family to end up in an arrangement they're unhappy with."

"I haven't heard any complaints from anyone, so we must be doing something right."

Her brother looked at her for a moment then chuckled. "Don't make yourself sound so old, Flit. One day it will be your turn to dress in red and meet a man in marriage. But not until the right match is found."

Eliska didn't bother hiding the way her nose wrinkled up at the thought. She knew matches were chosen with care, but the thought of being paired up with a complete stranger... Still, she hadn't been lying about not hearing complaints from anyone so she supposed she shouldn't be completely against the idea. "I'm happy waiting until later."

Kasimer grinned, eyes dancing again in a way that made Eliska nervous. "Who knows what the future will hold?"