Chapter 13: Rumours

Steam wreathed around Eliska's body as she exited the hot room, the cooler air in the main bathing room a relief. She padded forward, barefoot but in a thin bathing robe of black, her bathing bowl still holding her towel and soap as she headed towards the cool water pool. Her hair clung to her skin, and she was glad that the thin dark material of her robe didn't show her tattoos even after a number of uses. She had never used it this many times in a row.

In the main hall, there were only a few tiled mosaics breaking up the plain stone of the walls. The steam rooms were more heavily tiled, but out here, things were kept plainer. The built-in benches and the temporary wooden chairs were almost all filled with women lounging, bathing, or just talking.

Eliska was on her third hamam of the day, each building a hub of gossip for the area they were in, and there were always women there, no matter the hour, so long as it was open. The one near the Grand Bazaar hadn't told her much that she didn't already know, mostly different versions of people disappearing.

Her second stop, the hamam nearest the central slave market hadn't given her anything either. Only a sprinkling of chatter about a supposed incoming cargo of slaves by ship mixed into the usual gossip. So far, Eliska wasn't pleased with her rumour crop.

But here, at the hamam most frequented by the wives and daughters of the guard elites, she was hoping to hear some interesting tidbits about the bodies that had been picked up. The stray facts that didn't make it into official reports.

Eliska took one of the empty seats near a cluster of benches and chairs, laying her towel and soap on it to claim it before heading to the nearest pool of water. She filled her bowl with cool water before settling herself down and beginning to wash herself. Acting like she was completely focused on her bathing, she listened intently to what was happening around her, waiting for something to catch her attention.

Most of the snatches she heard were of little consequence, upcoming marriages, the nearing birth of someone's sister, and talk of new threads and embroidery ideas. She ignored the loud voices, none of them holding anger or fear, and did her best to focus on the quieter ones. Her ears practically twitched at the words, "-not as many golds the last little while."

A greying woman shook her head. "Are you sure your husband isn't hiding them from you? He might be looking for another wife."

"It's not that. He's waiting until Farhat is at least ten before he brings in another wife. I think his side business is slowing down. These merchants... they are always looking for ways to avoid paying what they must," said the younger one, squeezing water from her hair.

"The men will just have to remind them of what they owe their safety to," replied the first, toweling off one arm.

Eliska concentrated on soaping her legs, not trusting herself to look up, her eyes widening beyond her control. If what she'd just heard meant what she thought it meant... There had been whispers, hints of corruption among the guards before, but nothing any of them had been able to find evidence of. But with this as a starting point...

Without being obvious about it, she looked up, eyeing both women, trying to memorize their faces. She focused on their words as their talk turned towards a potential daughter-in-law for the older woman. Eliska kept her ears tuned into them, waiting for something to help, something to give her a hint about their id-"

"Come on then, Durdana," said the older woman, standing and gathering her things. "We've been here long enough."

Eliska rinsed her hair, smiling inwardly at getting a name. With one name, knowledge of the level of guard she was likely married to, it was only a matter of time before they got the information they needed. It wouldn't be Eliska who looked into it, not with two investigations at the moment, but just the thought of catching the tail of corruption they'd suspected was there...

Once she was finished cleaning herself, and long after the other two women had left, Eliska dried herself and gathered her things. Redressing in one of the small alcoves in the robing room, she headed back onto the street, dry cotton letting air through to clear up what dampness remained after her vigorous toweling.

Out of the hamam, she headed straight home, wanting to get everything down and left for one of the other shadows to pick up as soon as possible. She also worried, even with her spell, about revealing too much to Tariq. He was smart, and could likely turn things to his advantage given enough time.

Finally reaching her street, Eliska relaxed, the sun warm on her. Slowing her steps as she approached her house, she recognized the figure approaching from the other direction. His dark eyes bright, Tariq smiled at her.

As much as she wanted to grimace, Eliska plastered a smile on her face and barely faltered in her steps towards him. "You're home early," she said, as they both reached the front of the house. She could practically feel the gazes of the neighbours from across the street.

"I've been neglecting you lately. I thought I should spend more time with you and our new house," he said, slipping an arm around her shoulders. The heat against her cool skin was hard to ignore. It got worse when he leaned down and kissed her head, that spot seeming to burn outwards, spreading heat straight to her cheeks. She looked away, contemplating hitting him once they were inside and away from prying eyes. If she didn't know better, Eliska would swear he was being touchy with her in public because he knew she couldn't do anything about it without risking their cover.

"Well, in that case," she said, moving so she could unlock the door and trying to ignore the heat radiating against her back from him as she worked.

As soon as he heard the click of the lock, Tariq gently pressed himself against her, shepherding her into the house and kicking he door shut behind him. Eliska looked over her shoulder at him, their eyes meeting in a way that she could only take for a second. She looked away but walked forward, acting like it hadn't been an unconscious move. "So," she said, carefully putting her things onto the ground. "What did you find out today?"

~*~Quick Note~*~

If you haven't already, it would mean a lot to me if you'd vote for The Emperor's Arrow which is in the Top 10 for the SYTYCW contest. Whoever gets the most votes wins a two book publishing deal. You can vote every day and only takes two seconds! Thanks, and here's the link: http://www.soyouthinkyoucanwrite.com/the-emperors-arrow/