Twenty Five: By Blood. Not by Loyalty.

Kayla

"Traitor." Max spits.

"That's her?" Evelyn spits, "I figured you'd replace me with a whore, I just assumed that she would be pretty. I guess I was wrong."

"Watch it" Tyler says pulling out his gun and pointing it at Evelyn's head. 

"Relax." I say to Tyler.

"Why are you doing this Kayla?" Reece asks.

"You were a mission. This was all just a job." I lie.

"That sounds like a load of bullshit." Reece responds.

"Believe it or don't. I don't care. All you should care about right now is whether I am going to let you live. So you better tell me everything I want to know." I smirk.

"You first," I say turning to Evelyn, "tell me about the Walsh plans to take us down."

"You might as well kill me, because I am not telling you anything." She yells.

Tyler raises his gun back at Evelyns head, I nod to him and he fires. The bullet narrowly misses Evelyn's head and hits the wall behind her. 

"Next time, it's in your head." Tyler growls. 

"What is the order of succession for Walsh?" I ask.

"Don't say a word Eve." Max exclaims. 

"You'll have to kill me." Evelyn responds.

"I'm impressed by your loyalty. But don't you worry, I have other ways to make you talk." I respond, "You have ten seconds to talk or Reece looses a finger."

"Don't do it Eve." Reece warns. 

"Your loss, or I guess, it's Reece's loss." I threaten as I walk towards Reece's cage. 

Tyler follows my lead and handcuffs both of Reece's hands on the outside of the cage through the wiring. I pull my pocket knife out of of my pocket, and flip it open. Quietly, I sigh, this will probably be the hardest thing I have ever had to do.  But I have to prove my loyalty to my dad. He's my dad and I would give up everything for him. 

"You won't do it. I can tell, you love him." Evelyn taunts.

Slowly, I drag the tip of the knife across Reece's wrist. He flinches as I draw blood.

"If you don't tell me the what the order of succession is, he looses a pinky." I threaten.

Evelyn turns her head away so I dig the knife deeper into the top of his hand. I hold back my tears and keep a stone cold face.

Reece groans in pain and Evelyn exclaims, "Oh my God, Reece are you okay?'

"You won't do it." Luke taunts.

"Are you really sure?" I respond as I hold the knife against his finger with just enough pressure to break the skin.

"Tell her Evelyn." Tyler commands.

"Ask Reece." She says turning her back to me with tears in her eyes.

I nod at Tyler and he aims his gun at Evelyns foot. Tyler looks back at me and I nod again. Tyler then releases the safety and shoots at Evelyn's foot, the bullet skims right across her calf. She let's out a cry in pain.

"Don't test me. You tell me or I kill you." I say as Tyler puts the gun down. 

"Kayla you can't kill her. Please." Max pleads.

Tyler aims his gun at Max, "Shut up or you're next."

"Kayla. Don't do this." Reece says to me with pleading eyes.

"What choice do I have Reece?"

"Everyone has a choice Kayla." He responds.

"I've already made mine." I says leaving the cage Reece is locked in.

"Please Kayla. I love you." He says. 

I can hear Evelyn sobbing and I inhale sharply.

"Well, you fell for the wrong girl." 

"Kayla please." Reece tries again.

"Order of succession or Evelyn dies." I order. 

"By blood. Not by loyalty." Reece responds giving up.

"Goodbye Reece." I say leaving the basement.

Tyler follows behind me after making sure that each of the cages were secure.

"Was what you said a lie Kayla?" Tyler asks.

"Of course not." I say trying to convince him.

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." I say to him.

Tyler nods, "We need to speak with your father."

"Tomorrow night, dinner." I respond.

"See you ten." He responds.

I nod and take out my phone and dial my dad's number.

"Hello?" My father says.

"Hey dad. We didn't get much out of them, just a start to the order of succession. We need to talk with Uncle Jared, Uncle Zayne, and Tyler. Let's do dinner at ours tomorrow night."

"Sure honey. I'm proud of you. You make the right choice. You chose the right side." My dad says.

"Thanks dad. See you later. Bye." I say before hanging up.

"Dinner tomorrow?" Tyler asks.

"Yup." I respond.

---

Edited October 17, 2022

Xoxo Maryann