Chapter II: The Diner

Start from the beginning

At every landing, men bowed their heads left and right as he acknowledged them with a nod. Meeting his nephew on the ground floor, he smiled down at the six-year-old who stood before him in beige pants and a Spiderman shirt under a light jacket, his dinosaur bag slung over his shoulders.

Grasping in soft tiny hand into his much larger calloused one, they both made their way towards the entrance. The large double doors were pulled open for them as they stepped out in the morning sun. Inhaling the fresh dew, Arcangelo picked Arsenio into his arms before making his way toward the large Range Rover that stood awaiting him.

Settling his nephew into his car seat, he settled into the driver's seat before driving off to his destination, coming to a halt before a meticulously well-kept Italian villa. Stepping out, he caught sight of a pair of apple green eyes, their gaze being instantly diverted and back to water the plants with the golden Labrador bounding beside his owner as he watched in silence.

"Uncle!" A voice called out as the man looked up, instantly being attacked by a little baby girl clinging to his leg.

"Hey!" He laughed at toddler before lifting her into his arms to shower her with kisses.

"Look! Susie!" She called up to him, showing him the little panda grasped in her arms.

"Hello, Susie!" He spoke with the same level of enthusiasm as that of the child's.

The two giggled softly as a voice spoke up

"Good morning, brother." His sister came and greeted him with a hug and kiss on the cheek as he did the same. "Let's go?"

"Come on, let us get you two in the car," Arcangelo instructed as he carried his niece to the other side. Once the toddler was fastened in her seat and the siblings had settled down as well, they drove to their destination.

Once they arrived, Arcangelo walked down the street, looking around himself. Vincent had told him about a nice little diner in town which served delicious apple pies with extra strong coffee, and that he should try it out. Now he stood in the middle of the sidewalk, looking around for said diner.

Finally, after aimlessly walking around he found it.

The Italian Diner.

Alyna noticed an alleyway leading to the back, so they made their way there. There was a white fence forming a large square in which there were tables and chairs with sun umbrellas opened overhead.

Opening the little white gate they stepped inside the enclosure.

Seeing the limited amount of people seated outside, Arcangelo had to wonder if there were people inside or if they were having a slow day. Shrugging at his thoughts, he settled down with his back facing the infrastructure as he soaked in the warm rays of the sun, obscuring his gaze with his opaque sunglasses. Alyna sat in front of him with their nephew to their right and Alyna's daughter to their left.

"How are you feeling?" Alyna asked her elder brother as she leaned on the table, looking at him in concern.

"I'm fine." He assured as he instinctively touched the stitches in his abdomen. "A little pain, but nothing I can't handle."

"How did you end up in that situation, anyway?" She hissed quietly.

"Alyna, not in front of the kids."

His sister pressed her lips together into a thin line before reaching into her bag and taking out her sunglasses, adorning them, she looked around aimlessly as the children were talking among themselves. Arcangelo sighed in irritation as he took out a cigarette, placing it between his lips as he noticed his sister look up to glare at him.