Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

I wonder if I made the right decision, trying to shut the guys out of my life, Kay wondered. She sat on her new bed in the basement of Second Time Around, staring at nothing as her mind wandered as it was wont to do. Well, no, I'm not trying to shut them out entirely. I just don't want to lead Eggman to their lair. They'd have to move again. Although leading them to Casey and April's place really isn't much better...but at least the Foot and Purple Dragons know where they are already.

What if I have to battle someone upstairs in the store? It's an antique shop. Between the fight and my klutziness I'd end up breaking everything and putting them out of business. Maybe I shouldn't stay here either, just in case. But where else can I go?

Kay sighed, turning her gaze to the desk on her left that currently shelved her cracked Chaos Emerald. And why hasn't that thing spazzed out on me yet? I know that breaking a single Chaos Emerald can obliterate the entire world. Putting a crack in one has got to do some sort of damage. Right?

She frowned. Kay felt much more rested now and had actually slept decently for the first time in she didn't even know how long, but now it was like her brain had been fully recharged instead of only partially, and her thoughts did not seem to have any kind of off switch. There was no clock down here for her to know what time it was. She didn't know if emerging from her room would lead her to a closing antique shop or a darkened, sleeping house. True, the Turtles were usually up before the sun set, but Kay had a notorious habit of sleeping for all eternity if she had nothing to wake her.

I should just look, she determined at last, getting to her feet. If nothing else I'll maybe be able to distract myself for a few minutes and give my brain a rest. For a moment she considered leaving the Emerald where it was on the desk, but she quickly realized she would be unable to leave it alone and shoved it in her pack to bring with her upstairs.

The top of the first flight showed her an empty antique shop with a twilight sky on the other side of the windows. Figuring it must be around dinnertime or shortly thereafter, Kay continued up the next flight and knocked on the door of the Jones' apartment.

"It's open!" April called from inside. Kay turned the knob and entered. April offered a smile at her as she washed dishes in the sink. Casey sat on the couch. "Hey. Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah. Thanks." Kay quickly took in her surroundings. "Am I interrupting anything?"

"Nah, we just finished dinner," Casey said.

"You're welcome to have some if you want," April added. "You must be hungry."

Within minutes Kay was seated at the table facing the living room and kitchenette area so she could talk and eat at the same time. She knew at least one if not both of them would have questions for her, and sure enough, April joined her at the table once she was finished at the sink.

"Finally get tired of the sewers?" she asked kindly.

"Very much so."

"What's been going on? We haven't seen you since the guys brought you over a while ago."

Kay paused in her eating to think about where her last visit here fell into the grand scheme of things and started when she realized that last time she was here, Eggman was still in the shadows. She looked at April. "Have they told you anything?"

April shook her head. "They've kind of been laid back for the past couple of weeks. I think they're trying to let us get settled."

"Don't know why," Casey piped up from the living room. "We were involved in all of their crazy battles when we were dating and engaged. I don't see why being involved while we're married would make any difference."

"I'm sure it's just a phase. They'll let us back in on the fun soon enough. But that's beside the point." April focused on Kay again. "What's up?"

Kay swallowed her bite and set her fork down before she spoke. "April...if the guys haven't told you much about me, there is so much to explain I don't even know where to begin."

"Well, last I heard a lot of bad guys were after you for some gem that you have. You didn't know who was masterminding it all, but you wanted to."

"Um...yeah," Kay muttered with a half smile. "If you want to hear the whole story, we're going to be here for a while."

It was much later in the evening by the time Kay finished her story. Casey had joined them at the table about fifteen minutes in, and the sun had set long ago. Both of the Jones' sat in silence for a long while afterward, taking everything in. Kay excused herself to wash her dishes so that April didn't have to and to give them both more time to process her story. It was one thing for the Turtles to hear about it – they'd seen their fair share of craziness. But with Casey and April it was different. They'd had their adventures, but nothing like this. And, well...they were human. It would take them longer to realize that this was actually happening and not just a dream.

"So you left the guys so this Eggman character wouldn't use your gem to lead the Foot to their lair," Casey said at last, "and came here instead?"

"I had nowhere else to go," Kay replied. "I wasn't really thinking about the impact it would have on you two in the heat of the moment. I completely understand if you think it would be better for me to find somewhere else to stay."

"We're not suggesting that at all," April said quickly.

"No, no," Casey agreed. "I guess we're just confused. What exactly do you plan to do now?"

Kay kept her mouth shut to keep from saying 'I don't know' again and force herself to think on her feet. She finished at the sink and slowly exited the kitchenette to join them again. "Well...I guess I'm going to see where this adventure takes me next. I'll meditate. Experiment a little."

April looked at her pointedly. "Are the guys going to help you or not?"

"Not if Leo has anything to say about it." Kay shrugged. "But it's just as well. This is more of an otherworldly problem anyway. They just happened to get caught in the middle of it all."

"Like you."

Kay shook her head. "I am as much a part of Mobius as I am a part of Earth. Both worlds are my home, and problems on both concern me. Especially as the Emerald's Chosen."

The Jones' looked at each other. After a moment Casey grinned at Kay and said, "Well, if you ever want some help busting heads when this Eggman comes looking for you, Casey Jones will be more than happy to help."

"As will April Jones," his wife added with a smile.

Kay smiled back. "Thank you." But I'm not sure there will be much you can do.

~

*Author's Note* THANK YOU for coming back to read more of Kay's story after my long hiatus. I 100% blame school for the extended break, but now that it's over I'll be back to regular updates again all through the summer. I appreciate your patience. You are the best! Hope you enjoy! :D