64. His Brother's Conflicts

Start from the beginning

Martha pulled away and looked at her with worry " Calm down, my child. You are shaking. Are you okay sweetie?"

Martha turned to her nephew "Francesco... What is going on?"

Francesco was now looking into the eyes of his uncle with hate. Pure hate. He balled his hand into fists and Adele was hoping he calmed down as she was gripping his arm.

Martha turned to her husband "What have you done Piero. Why is my nephew so angry with you?"

Piero sighed as his eyes didn't leave Francesco's "I broke my word. I promised not to let Paulo find Maria and I broke my word. i was not meant to let him touch her and I stood by and let them marry."

Martha gasped "No..." She then covered her mouth with her hand.

Francesco laughed bitterly as he looked at his uncle "You know you crossed the wrong man. It is ironic how you try to warn me off the Don and say he does not forgive. Neither will I. I do not forgive either. I am going to give you a verdict soon..."

Adele whispered "Please Francesco. You are worrying your aunt...."

Francesco looked at his aunt Martha who was looking as pale as a chalk. Francesco looked back at Adele "She would have found out either way, sweetheart. Even she knows what her husband has done carries a heavy sentence." He then sighed deeply as he looked up at his uncle " Enough has been said for now.... I will see you at dinner... uncle Piero." He said his name with venom and turned to Adele and smiled sadly "Let's go sweetheart."

As he lead Adele to the door, he spoke "Antonio, I suggest you pick your side wisely. Think long and hard about who's side you are taking..." He then opened the door and walked outside while holding Adele's hand. The guards took a sigh of relief, letting out their breaths they were holding in and relaxed visibly as he walked away.

Adele spoke "Francesco, where are you going? This is the opposite way we came..."

Francesco spoke "I am going to my spot."

Adele spoke "To your spot?"

Francesco nodded as he looked ahead "Yes, I have a spot here that I used to go to for thinking. I used to come here every summer when I was younger. There it is, my spot." He then pointed at a tall building in the middle of field. Francesco explained "That used to be where they went to hide in emergencies. When there is an attack from a neighbouring mob, people go inside this tall building and then men with guns stand at windows and shoot. That was the idea but everything has changed. The Don knows even what his enemies are having for breakfast never mind knowing when they attack."

Adele spoke "So you went to sit inside the building to think."

Francesco shook his head "No. I went to the top of it. It is a quite tall building. It is the tallest building in this place and the whole region." There is a beautiful view from the top of it." We maybe able to kiss on the top if we hide well. We are being watched so we can't get too intimate." Adele looked around and saw a group of guards almost surrounding them from meters away. She gasped "I did not realise that."

Francesco spoke "Don't worry. They wont get too close. But one of the key rules here is minimal intimacy if you are not married. It may not mean that much to you but it does to my grandfather. There are various reasons. But one that is most logical to us is if a child is born out of wedlock it means there is a chance he or she is not a Rosario and then the people working under him or her may not show respect and take orders. So if there is even slightest chance the kid may be someone else's, things can get messy. I know it sounds crazy but this rule is quite strict. You heard my mother. She had a shot gun wedding." He then tensed up again."