The Returning

“I….”

                “Avery, it’s not that difficult of a question.” He seemed to be irritated with my lack of cooperation.

                “I know but—”

                “I can protect you.” He whispered, “But I need you to cooperate with me. You need to help me in this.”

                “How do I know…” I trailed off as he started up again.

                “I’m worried for you.”

                That froze me in my spot. I licked my dry lips, thinking of his words. He had abandoned me for an entire month, yet he had to have been thinking of me. He had to have been keeping an eye on me to show up at this moment.

                “I need to know who you are.” I said softly. My voice was just barely above a whisper as my desperate plea echoed through the silence of the car.

                “That would be breaking the number one rule.”

                I groaned.

                He chuckled in my ear to himself, “I’ll tell you one day when you’re ready to hear the news. But not before then.”

                “Do you promise?”

                “I do.”

                A moment passed in silence, “I feel like we’re in some comic book.”

                He chuckled, “Who am I then? Spiderman?”

                “I don’t know; let me see your face I can decide.” My words left my mouth much more scornfully than I had intended.

                “I need to go now.”

                “Of course.”

                He chuckled lowly, “I’ll return later tonight. Don’t stay up too late waiting for me.”

                My heartbeat quickened with anticipation, “So you’ve given up this boycott from me you’ve been going on?”

                “I think you’ve suffered long enough.”

                Too long.

                “I think you missed me.”

                “We’ll see.” He said, “I’ll see you later.”

                The car door opened and he made his escape. At the same time a bright, blinding light flooded into my view as the tow-truck finally arrived. I put a hand up to dim the bright late as it pulled over in front of me. The truck parked in front of me and two works got out to hook the car up.

                I got out of my car and stood near it awkwardly. One approached the car while the other man approached me.

                Ten minutes later my grandmother arrived to pick me up. She gave me an apologetic look as I got in.

                It was a silent ride home. I wasn’t as upset about my car breaking down as I could have been. The masked man continued to occupy my mind. I was excited to see him tonight. I had to hope that he wouldn’t wake my grandmother again.