News Coverage

“Let’s go live to Amy in Main Street for the story.” The anchorman said, looking straight into the camera.

                I sat on the couch with a bowl of cereal in my lap, eating slowly. Grandma was in the other room, humming softly to herself. The volume of the TV was fairly low. Neither of us liked loud noises in the morning.

                I took another spoonful, chewing slowly.

                The screen changed to a short woman standing in front of police tape. “Thanks, George. As you can tell, a very serious break in occurred last night at around eleven-thirty here in Ricardo’s Jewelry shop, just off of Main Street.”

                The camera zoomed out to get the entire background into few. The reporter stood off to the side, still speaking into the microphone. The sun peaked up, giving a fairly good view of the damage. The jewelry shop had two cracked windows on either side of the door, glass shattering inward. A few pieces were reflecting off the ground on the sidewalk before it. The window on the left of the door seemed to take the most damage. A large hole had opened up in the middle, leaving just edges of glass hanging around the side.

                The metal bars that backed the windows had been bent by what anyone would’ve guess to be a crowbar.

                “The alarm had been disabled before entry, which meant that police would’ve never arrived.” The reporter continued, walking slowly to the right, “One neighbor noticed the three suspicious men loitering around the shop and decided to make a friendly phone call.”

                A man around his mid-forties appeared into view. He looked as if he had been awoken from his sleep. A robe hung from his shoulders, opening up to reveal a stained white wife beater. The camera kept from the waist up.

                The reported looked to the man curiously as she spoke, “This is Pete Vander. He lives across the street, giving him a full few of the shop twenty-four seven. Pete, can you please tell us what you saw earlier today?”

                She stuck the microphone in his face.

                He grunted before talking, leaning down so that he was heard, “I work late. Got back around eleven. Decided to go get something to eat. Kitchen’s got full view of the shop. Saw three guys just standin’ around. Looked like they actually had some stuff with them.”

                “And is that when you phoned the authorities?” She asked, turning to the camera when she talked.

                Pete shook his head, “Nah, I watched them for a little while. Just out of the corner of my eye. One of them disappeared around back. Few seconds later, I saw the short one pull something out of his pocket. It had a weird shape. That was when I called the cops.”

                “What was your reaction to all of this?”

                “I was freaked out. I didn’t know what was going on. I started to wonder if I had called the cops for nothing. I knew I couldn’t go out there and stop them myself, so I watched from the window with a camera for evidence. Thought that was the best way to help the cops.”

                “You offered up the video as evidence, correct?”

                He nodded, “Yeah. Caught some weird stuff on, it I did.”

                “Can you elaborate, sir?” She asked.

                “The punks had thrown something into the window and were messing with the bars behind it. I was glad I called the cops then. No alarm was sounding like it should’ve. They were messing with the right side.”