Ch•5- Beyond My Years

My heart stopped, again.

   "Hey!" Captain Steve Rogers called, walking down the hallway towards me. Wow, he was tall. My insides seemed to be melting "I'm Steve, Steve Rogers." He extended his hand out to me. A hand? His hand? What do I do with that?

   I darted my eyes from his large tan hand to my tiny hand a few times before coming to my senses and shaking it. His hand covered mine completely. Can I just have his hand?

   "Uh... Hi... Uh... I... Uh... I'm Jason- JESSI! I'm Jessi, hi, uh... What's your name??" I immediately cringed, squeezing my eyes shut. Ok, I'm just going to throw myself off this ship now, please don't catch me "don't answer that" I removed my hand from his and rubbed the back of my head. Wow, this is embarrassing.

   Steve smiled, brushing off the mistake "Jessica Stark, daughter of Tony Stark? Obviously" he corrected himself "you both have the same last name and all"

"Y-yeah...." I didn't know what else to say, luckily he seemed to talk a lot.

    "I knew your GrandFather, Howard, you know, from seventy years ago" he said almost as if it was a joke. I think it was his form of ninety year old man humor.

    "Oh, cool!" I smiled, adding a small chuckled. I felt my shoulders relax slightly. This conversation with my idol was going well, sort of "I bet he was a cool guy, huh?"

"Yes he was. He's the one who basically made me, me" he explained, with a small shrug.

   "You were already you, he just made you muscly and all" I motioned to his Godly biceps. He smiled again. Oh My Gosh, I'm having an actual conversation to this down to earth guy. I'm standing here on a spy craft and talking to Captain America.

Best Day Ever.

    "I uh, I hear you're a fan" he rubbed his arm. My eyes widened. How did he hear about that?! I felt blood rush to my cheeks. Steve noticed my reaction and quickly added "your Father on the jet ride from Germany, he told me"

   I leaned my elbow against the wall, trying to act all cool and calm. Now why would Dad just throw me under the bus like that? The last thing I want is for Steve to think that I am obsessed with him. I mean, I am, BUT HE'S NOT SUPPOSE TO KNOW THAT. "I read a book, that's it... really" except for the dozens of other books on my bookshelf, a plastic shield that I made myself, action figures, his movies from the forties, and just about everything else "I mean, it was a book that my teacher assigned so... It wasn't my choice... so..." I cleared my throat, removing my elbow from the wall.
The two of us began to walk down the hallway, I tried to think of something else to say "how are you adjusting? Or how have you adjusted to life, here, in the 21st century?"

   "It's different, strange" he shoved his hands into his suit pockets "everything I know is gone, and everyone I know is gone"

   "I'm sorry" I sighed "About three years ago I lost my Mother, after that I was shipped off to my Father. I had to transition from a normal life to a high class, wealthy and famous life in the snap of a finger. It wasn't fun" I looked down to the floor "Sometimes I felt like... I didn't matter. I wasn't good enough. But now, I'm right where I should be, you know?" I almost forgot that I was talking to Captain America. He's so easy to talk to.

   "At least someone understands" We stopped in the middle of the hallway. Thor was standing inside one of laboratories, facing multiple computer screens. He was a whole Demi-God. Funny enough, not the strangest thing I've ever seen in my life.

    "I uh... I should go" I pointed my thumb over my shoulder "it was really nice talking to you... Mr-"

"Just call me Steve" he shook my hand again. Very gentlemen like.

    "Okay" I back up towards the door, my back bumping against the wall. "Oof!" I jumped, looking to the wall as if I've never seen a wall before "theres uh... a wall there"

    Steve chuckled and started to walk away. I watched him leave, feeling very relived. Our first ever conversation went semi-smoothly. I smiled to myself and slowly entered the lab.

    Thor was still in the center of the room, his hand was placed on his chin. He was staring at the computer screens, watching surveillance video of Loki inside his little glass prison.
I slipped inside the sliding doors, being as quiet as I possibly could "So..." I cleared my throat, gaining his attention "Thor... from Assguard or something? I'm a big fan, biiig fan" How do I even speak to a God? He could probably thunderbolt me off this planet in the blink of an eye.

   "Well, thank you?" Thor's voice raised up in a question. He had glorious blonde hair "Jessica, right?"

   "Yea. Jessi. Jessi. That's my nickname, or abbreviated name, whatever you want to call it" He nodded and then returned his attention back to the computer. Loki was just sitting there in his cell with a light smirk on his face "So uh, that's your brother?" I asked "He doesn't look as bad as I thought"

"Don't be fooled, Jessi Jessi" Thor said in a mono tone "for he is the God of-"

"Mischief, yea I know" I told him "I've read multiple books about you, and him. I've also read some things that Doctor Selvig has written. My Dad was sent some files last night and I took a peak at them. Didn't Mr. Selvig hang out with you last year when you came down to earth?"

    "Yes, we worked together for a small amount of time, but the real question is, where is Selvig now?"

     That was a good question "Wherever he is" I looked to Loki on the monitor "The Tesseract should be with him, and if we find that, we can finally fix this mess we've gotten ourselves in to" I tried to sound confident "Anyway, everything is going to be fine. They've got my Dad on the case now, and he can do anything"

Thor glanced down to me, holding my gaze. "You speak with words beyond your years"

I had no idea what that meant. "Oh, um" I scratched my eyebrow "Cool? I guess. You too"

    He chuckled "No, you miss understand young one. I'm saying that I've never heard such a small child speak with such determination and assertiveness, besides myself as a young lad of course"

     Wow! The God of Thunder thinks I'm determined! I smiled cheekily, looking down to the floor. Most kids at the moment would be sound asleep in their little city apartment, or probably getting ready for school, while I am here talking to a God at 7am in the morning.

    I wouldn't trade this for anything in the world "Oh! That's- thank you, that means a lot. To be honest, I don't know much. I'm just going by stories I've read in a book, and what my Father has told me. I wouldn't know any of this stuff on my own, thank my Dad for that. But, I have question"

"What is it?"

"How did the Tesseract get here in the first place?"

   "Well" Thor breathed, crossing his arms over his muscular armored chest, he was prepared to give me a life lesson "A long time ago, 1000 years at the most, there was a great battle. It was between the Asgardians and the Frost Giants as part of the Cross-Realm War. The Tesseract was brought here to Earth and was mistakenly lost during one of the battles. Then, the humans discovered it and now, it's lost once again"

Wow, humans are stupid.