Ch•4-The Church

A/N: So, I just saw Captain America Civil War... and it was beyond lit. Jessi ideas for that story are already brewing in my mind, and I'm only on Iron Man 2. We have a long way to go, hope you stick around! Thank you for reading :)

Dad stood facing off against Happy inside his personal boxing ring inside his workout room which was in his massive house. He was working up a sweat with Happy who was taking all of his punches. They were practicing boxing techniques which was strange. I sat on one of the couches in the room, studying their moves, even though Dad was cheating most of the time.

Happy lunged forward, swinging his arms out to get in a punch, but Dad dodged and clopped him in the nose with his elbow "Sorry" he breathed, not really sorry for his actions.

"What the hell was that?" Happy spit, adjusting his head helmet. He was completely taken aback by Dads punch.

"It's called mixed martial arts" Dad stepped back and continued to bounce on his feet "it's been around for three... weeks"

"It's called dirty boxing, there's nothing new about it" Happy frowned, aggravated with Dad's illegal techniques. It was pretty much a slow Saturday here at the Stark house. Not much goes on, not as much as you think. Things have been relatively quiet since the whole Obadiah mess. No new evil people trying to kill us. Dad has just been flying around the world, saving people and rescuing others. He's seen as a national treasure around the globe (except for his terrorist enemies).

Dad and Happy's fighting techniques had become so sloppy, that I decided to not watch anymore. The poker game on the holo-tablet was more exciting, and I don't even know how to play poker "I promise this is the only time I will ask you to sign over your company" Pepper said to Dad, even though he really wasn't listening. Just then, a women appeared in the room. She walked down the stairs towards Pepper and I. Dad and Happy immediately stopped fighting to stare at her. She had wavy dark red hair that stopped at her shoulder blades, pale skin with sharp green eyes, and she was gorgeous.

The woman walked across the room and handed a black binder to Pepper "I need you to initial here" She kept glancing towards Dad who watched with his mouth half open. I swear he goes after girl he lays eyes on. The only girl he needs is sitting right here! and also Pepper... but mostly me.

"Lesson one" Happy tapped Dad's head "never take your eyes off the-" before Happy could finish, Dad kicked him directly in the gut, causing Happy to stumble back. His back slammed against the ropes perimeter "that's it!" He ripped off his boxing helmet and slammed it on the ground "I'm done"

"What's you name lady?" Dad spun around and pointed his finger directly at the girl.

"Rushman. Natalie Rushman." She introduced herself. Dad invited her to stand in the arena with him, he called it the 'church'. I looked to Pepper and gave a loud sigh. We were both just as annoyed with him.

    I hoisted myself off the chair "I'm going to go get a drink, do you want anything?" I asked Pepper

"A Dr. Pepper please"

"Of course" I don't think I've ever seen someone drink as much Dr. Pepper as Pepper has. It's her drug I swear. I exited the workout room, throwing a few punches in the air. Those techniques that Dad and Happy used are really cool. I've always wanted to learn how to fight. Dad says I'm too tiny to fight, and Pepper says it's a waste of time. I don't think defending my own life is a waste of time! "Hey Jarvis?"
I called to my computer friend.

"Good afternoon ma'am, what can I do for you?"

"Why is Dad giving his company to Pepper?"

"He feels that he should focus on his Iron Man career, because it's like having two full time jobs"

"Would I go in to the Stark business thing too? Will I be the CEO of Stark Industries one day?"

"Would you want to ma'am?"

"I don't even know what CEO means. And I think I'd make a terrible Company Owner" I chuckled as I entered the kitchen. Pepper wanted a Dr. Pepper, and I wanted a Tea. Right before I opened the fridge, I notice one single picture hanging on the door. A new, tiny picture had been stuck up on there with a magnet.

The picture was Dad and I. We sat in my school classroom, on that parent career day. I was at my desk and he was kneeling down beside me, his arm wrapped around my shoulders. He was doing his little no-teeth smile, and I was flashing all of my pearly whites.

That was the only thing on the fridge. I know for a fact that the picture wasn't there this morning. Dad most of placed it there because Pepper didn't get there until 10:00am, and she hadn't gone in the kitchen at all. I felt a warm smile creep up on my cheeks. He was probably trying to make up for ditching me for a week. At least he was trying, and I appreciated it.

I ran back down to the workout room, practically running in to Natalie "sorry" I apologized swiftly, backing up a few feet.

She cleared her throat and wiped her white blouse "No, it's my fault, sorry about that" She nodded to me before taking off down the hallway to the living room and out the front door.

I peered around the corner, watching her leave. I watched as she placed her fingers up to her ear and spoke into her earphone "I got it" That's all I heard, and then she disappeared out the door. That's when I became suspicious. What did she get?

"Hey Kid!" Dad's voice called from the workout room. I watched Natalie for a second and then spun around. Dad, Happy, and Pepper were exiting the room. I tossed Pepper her soda "I have some business to do, so pack your bags, we're going to Monaco"

      "Ooh Morocco" I said eagerly. I think dad gave me a hopeless shake of his head, but I don't know exactly why "wait, I have school tomorrow"

"No you don't" Dad threw his arm around me as we walked together down the hall by the palm tree window "we're leaving tomorrow. Let's go out, I'll buy you some new sunglasses"

"Really?" I lit up with excitement.

"Really, just you and me" he pointed "Want to grab some donuts while we're at it?"

My jaw dropped "At that big donut place?"

"The one and only"

      I jumped, then ran towards the front door. Dad removed his sweaty towel and tossed it to Pepper, she looked annoyed. I slipped my shoes on and ran outside "See ya Pep, I'll grab you a Boston cream"

I was so excited now. I've been stuck in the house all weekend. I cartwheeled in the front yard, taking in the hot spring sun. Summer was on its way. My first Summer in California was going to be amazing.