Love is Like an Unsteady Heartbeat

Start bij het begin

"I know but I missed you." She said with smirk as she leaned into him and I cleared my throat to get their attention

"Um Michael this is my girlfriend Miranda," he said and I could feel the wind being knocked out of my soul. As soon as he said that I could feel my heart start to quicken and my skin go cold. My doctor was concerned and worried as he looked at the monitor and tried to relax me by making me lie down and take some deep breaths.

It wasn't working so well at the moment.

Of course he had a girlfriend, I mean how could someone like that not have one? He was tall, cute, smart, and funny, so it was only natural for him to be with someone. I was just stupid enough to fall for someone who was so unattainable and out of my league it was comical. Well if you looked at Luke then you would understand why I had fallen for him in the first place but still.

"Oh, well it's nice to meet you." I said with a lie as I was relaxed a little which my doctor, who was still in the room, was thankful for.

"Well, I'll talk to you later. See you around." Luke said with a small smile as him and her walked out the room with my doctor following behind.

So here I am today still sitting on my hospital bed about 3 years later and as I remember that day he had brought his girlfriend I also remember that he had made his visits less and less frequent, he'd barely show up once every two weeks. Then it would be twice a month to then none at all and I was then left alone again, well it was good practice because let's be real, I am not going to be able to date anyone while I'm stuck in some hospital cause my stupid heart doesn't know how to function properly.

"Good morning Michael." My doctor said as he came in like clock work every other hour of the day.

"Morning." I deadpanned feeling especially tired today.

"Let's just take a look at your vitals and make sure your heart is working well enough today." He said just like always.

Having to go through the same routine each and everyday can get really annoying.

"Mm, that's odd." He said causing me to look at him with furrowed eyebrows.

"What is it?" I asked nervous.

"It's just, your heart seems to be slowing down, it's at a really slow rate, but still." He said and I just let a little laugh out because why do I even care anymore? Why do the doctors even care anymore?

Sometimes I sit in the dark at night staring at the ceiling wondering what it would be like to be dead. What would happen if I just pulled out all of the wires in me and the IV in me and let the dark take over my body? It's not like I have anyone who cares about me; my parents don't visit me anymore, Luke has been gone for 3 years, I have no other friends. The only people who see me regularly are the doctor and nurses but that's only because they are paid to.

I didn't have anything else to do but to sleep, I just hope I don't wake up this time.

~~~~~

It was a week later when Luke came into my room, hair disheveled and tear tracks on in his cheeks. He looked different now, taller, broader, even had a beard growing. I was shocked and upset, but the moment he saw me staring at him like a deer in headlights he broke down.

"M-Michael," he choked out, racing towards my bed and dropping onto it. My eyebrows furrowed with concern as I watched him cry, his hand fumbling to find mine. "I'm sorry, I'm s-so sorry!"

"Luke, breathe," I reminded him, allowing the blonde to entwine our fingers. I tried to ignore the way my heart jumped at the feeling of my small hands being enveloped by his. Once took a couple deep breaths and managed to calm down, I asked him, "Where have you been?"

"Being an idiot," he said, sniffling and wiping his fallen tears. He adjusted his body to face me better and gave me a weak smile. "I was being stupid, I was letting someone else control my life without realizing how much those changes might affect you. I'm so sorry, Michael. I never meant for it to become like this."

"It's okay Luke..."

"It's not!" he cried, giving my hand a squeeze. "It's not okay, Michael. But I want to try and make it up to you, please."

I nodded, mumbling out an okay as I watched him wipe at his watery blue eyes with his free hand.

"I missed you so much," he finally said, shyly meeting my gaze.

"I've missed you, too."

He bit his lip ring, hesitantly saying, "I love you."

Ignoring the ache in my chest at the three words that sound way too friendly, I told him, "I love you, too."

"No, Michael. I love you."

My eyebrows raised at him. "Yeah, Luke, I love-"

"No! God dammit, I just-" he cut himself off, and cupped my cheek with his free hand and connected our lips hastily. I let out a surprised sound, too shocked to do anything as he slowed down and kissed me softly. I felt him about to pull away, which snapped me into reality. I put a hand behind his head and held him in place, finally beginning to move my lips against his. He smiled into the kiss, making me smile and then we both broke it by giggling.

He ran his thumb over my cheek and across my bottom lip, telling me, "I've been wanting to do that since the day I met you."

"Since you were ten?" I asked, laughing as he smiled widely.

"Mhm," he hummed, leaning in to peck my lips one, two, three times. "You were a cute ten year old."

"Am I not cute now?" I pouted.

Luke laughed. "Hot is a better word. Beautiful even."

My heart skipped a beat, and I ignored my monitor as I stared at Luke. "What about your girlfriend?"

He raised an eyebrow at me. "You mean the possessive chick I dated years ago? Broke up with her. She made me realize... a few things." He scrunched up his nose cutely and finished, "One being I don't even like girls."

I let out a chuckle before bringing him closer, kissing him softly again. "Good,' I mumbled against his lips, 'cause my heart only wants you."

I felt him smile before he whispered, "You have me."