Nove

CAPITOLO NOVE

a stay-at-home-day kind of day

***

"CAN I HELP YOU?" Lucien murmurs when Rose nudges him awake. It's a wonderful Saturday, when the shades are drawn, a peek of liquid happiness—the very one California is so known for—spilling into the room.

    They didn't spend a lot of time together the past week, with Rose busy on her job and too exhausted to converse with him when she got home. It seems as if his days are wasted away lounging around, in this urban haze, and she has no idea what he really does other than being in a constant vacation. All she knows is that he visits the gym, doesn't have a specific diet, and can cook to feed himself.

    "Did you want to do something today? Saturdays are for lover activities," she says. "Your dad would approve."

    At this, he rolls over onto his stomach and casts her a brief look, before closing his lids.

    "Do you want to do something that lovers do?" His voice is a low hum, far too rough to be talking coherently at the moment. He opens his eyes languidly and pins his sharp gaze onto Rose.

    Another question as an answer.

    "We could..." she whispers.

    "Hm?" he grins.

    The expression on his face is far too hopeful for her and she sees the remnants of last night's dream still printed onto his face—he's not fully awake and merely playing what he sees pleasant. And at the moment, she's the mouse to his claws. His lips are twisted leisurely, a deep shade of red that offsets the golden bronze in his bare skin.

    "Something like, not going outside. Doing nothing," she says.

    Lucien groans and dives his head into his pillow, sighing deeply. Perhaps he's too tired of doing nothing all the time.

    "Let me get changed first. Then we can do nothing," he says.

    It's a wonderful Saturday for staying in.

***

JUST AS HE PROMISED, he came to join Rose in the living room after he's dressed, a touch of aftershave to his scent. They're matching in gray sweats and black t-shirts—a realization that makes Lucien laugh. Rose sits cross legged, bundling her hair into a bun and throws him the remote. This is what she always suggests, a movie or a show, so that conversation isn't forced.

    "You wanted to stay in because you ran out of places to take me," he says.

    "Of course not." Rose is quick to dismiss the idea, although it does sound like her and he probably isn't wrong. There's just not a lot of places she'd like to go, and it could be the fact that she's desensitized to this city, and that places where she's comfortable are places she wouldn't introduce Lucien to.

    "This is fine with me," he says.

    "It's not like you do anything all day," she says.

    "When, I mean if, you get to live as long as I have, there's nothing that interests you anymore. I've seen the world, Rose. There's only so much it offers before you have it all."

    "Have you seen ghosts?" she asks, face rapt with attention.

    "I have never pegged you for—"

    "Sue me."

    "But no. I don't think I have."

    "You must be so bored by now," she says.