Why Does This Happen To Me?

The bell rang and my stomach was turning knots with anticipation. Grace was leading me by the hand to the cafeteria and as soon as I walked in I spotted her. Jessica. Looking as beautiful as ever. My breath caught in my throat when I saw her sitting beside Sam. They were in deep conversation when Jessica’s eyes drifted upwards, spotting me. They widened in surprise and I saw something in them. Guilt? Anger? I wasn’t sure. But then she turned away from me and kept right on talking; as if I wasn’t there. Anger started to boil up inside me. She couldn’t even look at me! I started shaking and I knew this was a terrible mistake. I ran away from Grace and to my locker where I slid down. My face was in my hands and I just kept thinking about what a horrible mistake I’d made. That of course got me angrier and I ended up punching my locker.

“Ouch!” I yelled really loudly in the empty hallway. While I was cradling my aching hand, I heard movement behind me and turned to see Grace looking at me with wide eyes.

“What?” I hissed at her. Venom evident in my voice.

“What did you do that for?” she exclaimed. I turned around and walked towards her till we were practically nose to nose. She didn’t back away though and stared right back at me.

“I can’t handle it,” I said softly.

“Trust me when I say, Jessica needs you Summer. She hasn’t been acting like herself since you left,”

I turned away and leant against my locker with a sigh. My anger was draining from me but all that was left was despair.

“What do I do?” I asked with my eyes closed.

“I’ll get Jessica. Stay here,” she ran off leaving me alone. I really didn’t want to see Jessica or talk to her for that matter.

A few minutes later I heard footsteps and I heard Jessica complaining loudly.

“Why do I have to talk to her?” I heard her say.

“Because you need her! Now come on!” Grace said loudly. My heart was hammering against my chest. Suddenly there she was. In all her beauty. She came to a standstill in front of me and she seemed to take me in with her eyes. We just stood there like that for a second until she broke eye contact. She flipped her hair impatiently.

“What do you want?” she asked. Her voice had no emotion in it at all. I had no idea what I was supposed to say.

“What did I do Jessica?” I heard myself asking. She stood there for a second contemplating on what to say.

“You were too- clingy,” she said lamely not meeting my eyes. I frowned. This was the same excuse she had given me on that day of the beach.

“I don’t believe you,” I said stubbornly. She looked at me suddenly; her eyes blazing. She stomped forwards till we were arms reach of each other.

“Well you’d better believe it because it’s true!” she yelled in my face. I didn’t flinch; I just stood there, staring at her like a complete idiot.

“Can’t you see what’s happening? It’s Sam Jessica! She’s making you act like this!” I said desperately. She frowned and came closer than ever.

“At least she was a better friend than you ever were,” Then she stormed away leaving me astonished, dumb founded and most importantly hurt.

Why does this happen to me?