(10) Only a Dream

Start from the beginning

“Three.”

“Two.” 

“One,” and before I could get away, his lips were against mine, sending all thoughts of fighting him out of my mind. His lips were soft, like velvet, and they sent this warmth through me that I hadn’t experienced before.

What an asshole, my first kiss stolen by some perverted-alien. But honestly, I didn’t mind that much. Because as his lips moved against mine in perfect synchronization, I was almost able to forget what he was really doing, only for a second.

But then that second ended. And the warmth he had given me was gone, and the pain of him ripping the branch from my stomach became so much more evident.

“Leo st-” I didn’t get to finish my sentence though, because the branch was out, and so was I.

****

Unfamiliar sounds were going on around me, I lay still and tried to think... Where was I? I was frozen as if there was a tight rope tied around me daring me to move. Gripped by fear, I slowly opened my eyes.

“What the hell’s going on?!”

This isn’t possible. How the hell did I get here? I could feel the air being sucked out from my body, the atmosphere becoming more and more tight. I struggled out from under the blanket covers, racing to the window. I pounded against the glass until my fingers scraped on the latches. With one swift movement I flicked them to the side and opened the window with all the strength left in my body.

"New York," I whispered, looking down into my front yard. This is impossible. Even if I were to wake up in reality, I would wake up in the hospital. So how did I get here? 

I looked up towards the sky, an average summer day; wrong. It's the middle of winter right now. "What's going on?"

A loud crash came from downstairs, causing a picture of my brother and I to fall from it’s stand.

“Adalia help me!”

“Bradley?!” I screamed, pushing myself away from the window. “Bradley!”

I slammed open my bedroom door, hesitating as I entered the hall. 

“Adalia!”

Left.

I turned the corner, the creaking of the floorboards following quickly behind me. "Bradley where are you?!" I yelled, skipping steps as I raced down the staircase. I ran through the kitchen, into the dining room, the living room, he wasn't here.

Silence set in. Was I... Imagining it? No, it sounded to real, it was real! But, where was he now? Where had he gone? 

“Help me! Adalia! Help me!”

“Dawson?!” I spun around, trying to find him, trying to find the source of the sound. “Help!”

The basement.

I could hear him, I could hear him screaming, calling for me. My brother too, Bradley was with him. What's happening to them? Who's hurting them?

“I’m coming!” I yelled, running down the hard, wooden stairs. Then, as I turned the corner, I couldn’t just hear them anymore, I could see them. Beaten and bloody at the feet of my nightmare.

“Dad?”

“Did you miss me, Sweetheart?”

“Why… Why are you…?”

My eyes drifted down to Bradley, his glasses broken, and skin stained with blood. I stumbled back at the sight of him, it brought back memories I was trying so hard to forget.  As his mouth opened ever so slightly, and the word run escaped, he was no longer fifteen, but once again nine and trying hard to protect me.