First Contemplations

"What do you mean, Y/n?" Chara frowned slightly.

"I mean, like, well, I mean what I said. If I care so much about everything, then why am I doing genocide. Why am I not doing pacifist, or neutral? I think I've done neutral before, but never pacifist."

"Well, I do not know. It was your choice in the first place, was it not? Was it not you who was killing everyone?"

"That's the thing, Chara." you sighed, "I'm starting to question whether it actually was." And with that, you turned on your heel and walked onward.

Ahead of you, was a small pond. To the left, in a small alcove, were four waterlily seeds. You walked towards the sign. It told you that if all four seeds where aligned in water, they would bloom instantly. You doubted this for a second, before looking properly and finding four waterlilies in a row, creating a path across. Walking over, you gingerly put your foot down on one, slowly putting more and more weight. You decided these flowers must be magic, as they didn't dip, or sink, or even move. Nervously, you quickly ran across, not wanted to be soaked again.

From the other side, you saw a monster. It was wandering towards you. You tilted your head slightly as you watched it walk over.

Meanwhile, Chara sighed as they brushed past the checkpoint that no longer worked for them, thoughts swirling in their mind. Why was Y/n acting like this? What made them think of it? Why are they bringing this up now? Or, why were they going to bring it up. Is there something they know that I do not? They looked over, and saw you looking at the monster that was approaching you, quicker now. Judging by the knife that you were lowering, and lack of confidence in your body language, they guessed you were having second thoughts about killing. Silently, they crossed the pond and stood behind you. they stood there silently behind you, until the monster (a lost and sad Shyren, who was trying to find their way) was about a foot away from you. Your soul flashed, as it came out of your body, and the fight started.

You looked sorrowfully at the depressed and scared creature, realizing that it didn't want to fight. Your hand wandered to the MERCY option, before you realized you had worked too hard to stop. Your hand trembled over the fight button as your thoughts turned to the monster, but how hard you had worked, but turned to how you could always try and RESET, or something. But it wasn't your hand that made the decision.

Seeing their chance, Chara tapped the fight button for you, and grabbed your hand with the knife in. You struggled against their grip, panicking for a moment, before Chara pulled downwards, burying the knife deep into Shyren's skull.

The Shyren gave a pained squeak, before turning to dust. Gold appeared on the ground. Random tears welled in your eyes as you spun on your heel to face Chara.

"CHARA?! WHAT THE-?!"

Chara looked blankly into your eyes. This was probably supposed to calm you- and that was probably what angered you the most.

"THE HELL?! WHY WOULD YOU GODDAMN DO THAT?!" You screamed.

"Calm down Y/n. I.... You are doing genocide for a reason. It was nothing you would not of done yourself, at some point. I just sped up the progress."

"How do you know, Chara?" You had a steely glare in your eye, "How are you sure? You don't know that I would have done that or not."

"Well I believe I know you more than you know yourself. You would have made the choice eventually. You know that. Now stop being so difficult and we can advance." Chara said, pressing their lips.

"No. Chara, stop pretending to care and tell me the truth! And unless you're going to do that- then you can just leave!" You blurted out. Chara opened their mouth, but for some reason, you just decided to run.