The Answer

"Nnng" you groaned, moving slightly. Chara grabbed you, the wooden bridge being extremely thin. Slowly, you opened your eyes.

" I have some.. questions. Chara, why are you here?" You asked.

Chara frowned slightly, "What do you mean by that, Y/n?"

"Well... I mean, I'm a glitch created by a hacker. Gaster was a canon character, erased by a hacker and covered up by the creator. You're... a canon character, erased by the creator. So.. why are you here?"

Chara sat cross-legged on the thin wood bridge and sighed. "Y/n, there is so much more to the sorry of my death that you do not know, and may never know. My existence is... a curious thing. I am unique, different to every 'living' thing in this game. No one knows what I am now. Not Frisk, not Sans, not even Flowey."  They flinched slightly at the name.

"Well.. Okay I guess. Next: can I be possessed? Do I have control over the timelines? if I die, do i have enough Determination to revive? When I'm in the timeline instead of Frisk, am I being controlled? Are there any rules? Do people have memories of previous timelines? Or is it just Sans? Does Frisk remember anything? W- " You asked non-stop, before Chara interrupted you.

"That is an awful lot of questions, Y/n. I will do my best to get through the ones you have listed. But first, perhaps we should climb back up the ladder, and cross the river. Then, maybe you should put the rest of your clothing on."

You nodded, and blushed slightly, pushing a stray hair behind your ear. Standing up, the two of you made your way to the ladder, before Chara gave you the leather boots and the black tights, folded up neatly. Tucking them under your arm, you grabbed the first rung of the wooden ladder, and quickly climbed up it. Chara followed, deciding against teleporting for once. Walking over to the river, you checked for any suspicious falling rocks, before quickly running across. Chara, of course, decided to teleport this time. 

"Chara.. can you please turn around? I need to put my stuff back on."

"Sure." They smirked, turning to face the cavern wall.

Quickly, you pulled on your clothes, ignoring the damp tights, remembering dropping them into the water. You sat down.

"Chara, you can turn around now."

They turned, before sitting cross-legged on the stone flooring, facing you.

"So, Y/n, let us work through the questions you have asked.

"First off. Can you be possessed? Hm, I believe that perhaps you could be possessed. Let us hope it does not come to that.

"Control over the timelines? Nobody has control over the timelines. But if you meant reset... you can, to some degree."

"Wait.. what do you mean by, 'to some degree'?"

"Meaning you cannot wipe every memory from them. There will be some who will remember small details. Determination? You are a glitch, my dear. If you die, I believe you stay dead.

"Hm..  well I do not know if you are being possessed right this very minute. I imagine not. I believe all of the runs you have done, are simply what happens when whoever controls Frisk is having a break...

"Oh my dear, Y/n. If I do take the time to tell you all the answers you wish to know, Dr Alphys will have already evacuated them. But I suppose I could answer them as I talk."

As you got up, Chara did also.

"Alright.. the rules? In this timeline, there are few rules here. Why? Well this would be happening without you, but Frisk would take your place and select whatever route they wish."