night seven

teagan

I was standing before my mirror, my lips in a straight line as the whispered words behind my back crawled their way back to my mind.

Is she adopted ?

Is she adopted ?

I mean, look at her skin. Clarice and Jonathan are pale like snow white.

She doesn't fit with them.

I remember back to the phase I went into when I was 11, my little self had thought that if I made my hair look blonde and my skin lighter, may be my parents would like me better.

I wanted to laugh. It was never about appearances, I had ruined three lives not because of my appearance but because of my mere presence.

First, my biological mother who had me at an age of 15, secondly my father who was never aware of me until she left me at his door step. And thirdly, Clarice who was in love with him and couldn't let go because of a stupid mistake.

Mistake, that's what I was and no one failed to remind me every single day of my life in case I forgot.

Shaking my head, I head outside and suddenly stop in my tracks when I see my parents in the kitchen laughing at something.

Unconsciously, I recline and turn back to the living room, not wanting to disturb them.

I climb up the fire escape and see Dante already sitting on the wall, his legs dangling onto my side of the roof. He looks up to meet my eyes, and I see the smile slowly curling upon on his lips and I find myself grinning too.

" I see you have been waiting for
me. "

I could tell he was shy just the way he averted his eyes, and I am pretty sure if it had been daylight I could have seen him blushing.

" Ummmm yeah, how are you ? "

" I am great good boy, Dante." I say, plopping my ass on the wall and turning to face him.

" How about you ? " I ask, raising a brow at him,

" I am good as well. "

" You didn't come to school ? "
I ask suddenly remembering that I hadn't seen him around today,

" Oh Yeah ! It was my little sister's birthday and she wanted me to spend it with her. I bought cake." He says, and hands me a red box which I open eagerly and I am not disappointed as I see the chocolate cake inside it, waiting to be eaten .

" Thank you, you have no idea how fucking hungry I am... I couldn't go into the kitchen because my
parents were in there and they don't like me -"

I catch myself middle sentence and start eating pretending I never said that but I could feel the intense gaze of his.

" How old is your sister ? " I ask and  see a small smile coming on his face,

" She turned 4 today. I swear she is an 18 year old trapped in a 4 year old's body. "

He says with a laugh, and I find myself smiling too.

" You don't have any siblings ? "

I shake my head, wishing I had one but then I wonder if he/she would hate me too.

" Come on, let's sit there - " I say pointing at the edge and he looks at me with a horrified expression.

I laugh slightly, and grab his hand -

" Trust me, you will love it. "

He lets me guide him to the edge and slowly we settle down, but I could tell from his tight grip on my hand, he was afraid.

" Are you afraid of heights or are you afraid of death ? " I ask, and I feel him relaxing slowly until he reluctantly admits,

" Death, I fear dying. I fear that one moment I am here and then, poof ! I will be gone. "

" You don't believe in after life ? "

" Are we sure that it exists ? Has anyone seen it ? Been there and came back to confirm that there is life after death ? I don't believe in mere imaginations. "

" You talk like Augustus, " I say with a smile and he chuckles,

" But I am not dying and neither are you. "

I won't be so sure.

I hear my mother's voice calling out for my name, and I look sadly at Dante and before he can react, I kiss him on his cheek, thanking for the cake and start my descent down the fire escape.

He was still staring at me in shock, his mouth open wide as I winked at him before getting inside the window.

Here we go again.