night six

teagan

It was Friday night and I wonder what the heck was I doing on the roof while I should be at some party, drinking my life away.

But neither did I feel like partying nor did I want to drink.

I was seated at the ledge of the roof today, my legs swinging in random patterns as I try to block out my parent's shouts gnawing at my mind, taking one piece of sanity one at a time.

Maybe you shouldn't have been born.

My mother's words had sent me stumbling back. I don't know why was I even shocked any more, they had made it pretty clear that I was just a mistake plenty of times but hearing her actually say that out loud was the last thread.

A drop falls on my hand and I look up to the sky but there was no hint of rain, I realize that it was me who was crying. I let it be and for a while I just sit there, silent tears falling down my cheeks, a thought nagging me as I stare at the city before me.

" Teagan! Are you crazy ? Get back from the edge! "

A voice exclaims, and I smile to myself and turn around to spot Dante standing on his side of roof, his looks conveying exactly what he said: is she crazy ?

Shaking my head, I turn back and continue dangling my bare feet, the cold breeze hitting them sending shivers up my spine.

I hear him sigh, and footsteps which makes me wonder if he left but then there is a thud behind me, and much to my surprise I see him slowly inching towards me.

" So now you have decided to show your face? "

I ask him teasingly, but there was no humor in my voice -

" You have already seen me, no point in hiding now. "

" Can you get back please ? I am extremely worried right now. "

I won't doubt, I could practically sense the worry rolling off him.

" Don't . The only way you will fall is if you are thinking about jumping or someone pushes you, which I already told you I won't. "

I hear him sigh again, and he hesitantly admits -

" I am worried about you. "

I stay there for a minute and then slowly stand up, wobbling a bit which makes Dante shout out my name in worry, and I smile, there was nothing to worry - I wasn't planning on dying today anyways.

Once I have stepped off the edge, he pushes me back and I feel bad when I see the panic in his blue-green eyes.

" You are crazy. "

It wasn't even a question.

He let's go of my hand, but I keep staring at him, remembering all the times I had passed him in the halls or seen him sit quietly, keeping to himself during lunch.

Dante Levi Hewetson, the resident good boy of Esmeralda High.

We sit on the wall that separated the roofs of the two buildings, and I find myself getting comfortable in the silence

" You are a senior ? " I ask because he wasn't in my classes, so he had to be either ahead or behind.

I see him bobbing his head up and down from the corner of my eyes and smile.

" Is everything okay ? " He asks, and if it wasn't for my high listening skills it would have been lost in the wind.

" Why are you whispering ? " I ask in a hushed tone, making him smile.

" As for your question, yes everything is okay. "

I could see he didn't believe me, heck even I didn't believe me but I choose to ignore every warning sign going off in my brain.

His phone starts ringing, and I hear him saying that he will be right there and leaves with a quick goodbye, an urgency to his step.

I wander off to the edge again, and slowly start climbing down the fire escape,

All I had to do was let go.

But I wasn't planning on dying today.