night two

teagan

I was used to passing out after getting drunk at unusual spots but the cement floor was by far the most uncomfortable one. Out of curiosity I had looked over the wall but to my disappointment Dante had already left, or probably he was never there.

It was 4 a.m when I had come back to my room, while my parents had shown up about two or three hours later, and left without as much as a good morning.

Now it was 10 p.m, again; my parents were out, again and I was going to climb up to the roof, again.

However I had to make three trips to take all the stuff I required, and now that I was finally done, I start setting up a much more comfortable sitting spot than yesterday.

There was no one on the other side of the wall, much to my disappointment

I settle on the little mattress I had bought, and arrange the cushions behind me.

I didn't have the wine bottle with me today, because tomorrow was my first day at the new school and I didn't want to go looking as if I just finished an entire drug deal, although I think that's pretty much how I look, drunk or not.

The music that I was playing on my phone was the only sound at that time, however, sound of footsteps soon added to the deep voice of Adele as she belted out one of her recent,
hello from the other side.

I chuckle at how apt the song was for now.

" You don't seem the type of person to listen to Adele ? " He says, after a moment and I smile,

" What type do you think I am ? "

There was silence on the other side, but then sound of metal clashing with metal cuts Adele's hello short, and I start laughing.

" I am not confined by a type. " I say after he stops the music he had just played, more specifically a song by a 90s heavy metal and rock band - Pantera .

" Well, in my defense everything about you just screams bad ass. "

" You will be even more surprised when I start dancing to one direction then. " I say, purposefully playing steal my girl next, also one of my favorite songs by them.

I think he laughed, or I could just be mistaken.

" What type are you, Dante ? " I ask, genuinely curious and he takes his time to answer,

" A good boy with good grades, no bad ways but still not good enough ? "

And it came out more of a question than an answer, but the sadness behind it was evident enough.

" That sounds like my type, and good enough for me. " I answer teasingly, and he chuckles,

" You are something else, Teagan. "

I smile, shaking my head, I knew that.

" Where are you starting school ? " He asks,

" Esmerald high school, " I answer, named after Esmeralda, the founder of the school.

" Oh! " That's all I get in response, and I wonder if it is an oh because he went there as well or an oh because he didn't.

The conversation ceased there, and my mind wanders to the topic of school. I like everyone hated being a new kid, not for the attention one got because I honestly didn't care but for the assumptions it brought.

I hear a sneeze, which reminds me of two things that one, I wasn't alone and two, the air was starting to get chilly.

" Go before you catch a cold. " I say, as he sneezes again and mutters a yeah and then I hear footsteps becoming distant, and a creaking door.

After he leaves, I head to the edge of the roof and take some pictures of the beautiful city of Los Angeles in front of me, waiting to be explored by my new camera before it became just another city I had an an opportunity to visit.

My parents had worked in different cities, and different countries all together, tagging me along like their luggage ever since I was born.

Not a single place had ever felt like home and I wonder if this one would.