Popsicles

Chapter One

Penny entered the popsicle shop, and the sweet scent of fruit and chocolate filled her nose. Her fellow co-workers gave her a nod, and she smiled politely. She opened the heavy door, leading towards the kitchen, which was also connected to the counter. Penny’s best friend, Katherine, skipped merrily towards her. 

“Hey!” Katherine said, smiling giddily. “Time for you to make the pomegranate popsicles.” Penny rolled her eyes at her friend’s comment. Katherine would always joke about the “pomegranate” with Penny, because Penny’s real name is Persephone. 

“We don’t sell pomegranate popsicles here.” Penny stated, walking towards the counter.

“I’m going to try to get Mr. Wilson to get a recipe for it, though.” Katherine said, seriousness etched in her voice.

“Seriously, Katherine.” Penny spat. Katherine threw her hands into the air, as if she were surrendering. “Why are you so happy today anyways?” Katherine gave a shrug and jumped with glee. Suddenly, Max came up and hugged Katherine from behind. 

“She’s happy because we’re dating now.” Max said, smiling from ear to ear. Max was extremely tall, and very handsome. He had light brown hair and slightly tanned skin, and was one of the biggest flirts at Hector High School. Penny pointed her finger to the middle of her open mouth, and let out a sound of disgust. 

“It’s okay,” Katherine said, putting a hand on Penny’s shoulder. “You’ll find your Hades one day.” Penny’s eyes widened, and she looked back at Katherine.

“I hope I don’t because I honestly don’t want to be kidnapped.” Penny said, giggling. Max and Katherine laughed also, but they weren’t too sure what Penny was talking about. They never paid much attention in class, and they surely didn’t pay attention to mythology. 

After an hour of taking orders, and handing people their popsicles, Max, Katherine and Penny left the store, with popsicles of their own. As soon as they stepped out of the sweet smelling shop, they immediately wanted to go back in because it smelled awful outside compared to the store. Outside, it smelt like pollution from the cars and dogs, considering there was a dog park across from the store. 

“So,” Penny started, taking a lick of her orange popsicle. “When did you guys... you know, start dating?” Penny flickered her finger between Max and Katherine. 

“Yesterday.” Max said, continuing to lick his chocolate popsicle and slipping his large hand into Katherine’s. Penny nodded, not saying another word because Max and Katherine were too busy talking to each other. 

Penny had always wanted a boyfriend, or at least someone who could make her feel special. Her dad always used to tell her, “One day, you’ll find your prince. He may not have any armor or a crown, but as long as he makes you feel like a princess, he’s definitely a prince.” Penny had loved the phrase so much, she wrote it down on a piece of paper and hung it up on her cork board. 

After ten minutes of walking, the three friends finally arrived to the park. They loved hanging out at the park after work, because it was peaceful and they could say what was on their mind. They all sat down on the same bench, staring at the children playing soccer and tag on the field. 

“Oh, Penny!” Katherine exclaimed. 

“What?” Penny asked, fumbling with her fingers.

“We’re going to see the premiere of that scary movie tomorrow night. Wanna come with?” Katherine asked, getting up and throwing away her popsicle stick. She sat back down, waiting for an answer from Penny.

“I don’t know.” Penny said, thinking it was a bad idea. She didn’t like scary movies that much, and they always gave her nightmares. “You know how much I despise scary movies.” 

“Come on, live a little.” Max said, biting off the last piece of his popsicle. 

“Fine.” Penny gave in. “But if I have nightmares, I’m blaming you idiots.”