Spring Break - Thursday

Start from the beginning

"Hey Jay..." She seemed awkwardly nervous, "Can I talk to you outside?"

"Um, sure. I guess." I stepped outside the trailer and saw the other three were already getting in their car and were ready to go. "What's up Hal?"

"I just," She sounded as if it were hard to get the words out. "I just worry about you and Jake. You guys seem to be getting very, well, close lately."

"Well yeah. We're dating and haven't been together for months. What did you expect?" I was a little annoyed she even thought she needed to say something.

"I don't know, what was up with that little stunt he pulled. He had his hand half way up your shirt Jay!"

"Halle, calm down. His hand was not up my shirt, and he's very respectful. Why are you so worried all of a sudden?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry. I guess after you guys slept together Monday night I started to worry. I worried you guys might get caught up in the moment sometime and do something you'll regret." She seemed more and more upset as the conversation carried on.

"Halle, you need to calm down. Jake and I are totally fine. He knows where we stand and we're not going to make any stupid mistakes." I said with a hint of annoyance.

"Jay, he's more than two years older than you. You don't think those ideas are going through his mind and that's something he wants? He's almost eighteen, Jay."

She had crossed a line, "You and Tom need to back off. We know what we're doing, and we know that we're still young. Jake is the most respectful guy I know and he and I decided we were going to wait until the time was right before making decisions like that. Where is this coming from Halle?"

"I just don't want to see my best friend sixteen and pregnant!" She blurted out.

I was completely shocked. "I can't believe you just said that!" Jake opened the door to the trailer walking out. He stood next to me and had his hand on my back protectively.

"What's going on out here." He asked curiously.

"Nothing. Halle was just leaving." I said quickly without any emotion. "We'll meet you guys there in an hour."

She started backing up away from us, "Oh, um okay. I'll see y'all in an hour." She paused for a second looking back, "I'm sorry Jay, I shouldn't have said anything."

I didn't even say anything and let her walk to the car. Colton drove away and Jake turned to me. His hands held my cheeks and his eyes were locked on mine. "Hey, Jay. What's going on?"

I started to tear up and wrapped my arms around him burying my head into his chest. "You don't think we're too... um... physical do you?"

He laughed and wrapped his arms around me as well. "Um no? Not at all, why?"

I let out a sob that turned into a laugh. "I don't know I was just wondering."

He lifted my chin to have me look at him before pulling me to him as he softly kissed my lips. "I love you more than anything. You know that. And after all the hell I've been through with my crazy, jacked-up, family, you're the only thing that makes sense in my life."  I started to cry even more. He pulled me into him and wrapped his arms around me. "What did Halle say to you babe?"

"She said she worried about us and noticed we were more and more physical with each other. Then she said she didn't want her best friend pregnant at 16, and I just lost it."

He let out another small laugh. "Trust me. I'm smarter than to get us involved in something we can't handle right now. We've already been through this. Why is she all of a sudden worried?" He paused for a moment, "And besides, this is our business. We are the only ones in control of how our relationship goes."

He looked at his phone and saw a text from Abby:

We're gonna pick up the food. Y'all just meet us at Colton's place in an hour.

He texted back a thumbs up emoji and we walked over to my dad's truck where he was waiting for us.

The rest of the night was a blast. We were back at Colton's house playing ping pong until midnight, and then all settled down to watch a Disney movie. Those had always been our favorites.

Abby came upstairs in the living room with root beer and ice cream. We made our root beer floats and sat down together to watch The Little Mermaid.

During the movie Jake was holding me in his arms and  he whispered to me, "Speaking of Ariel, have you talked to my cousin recently?"

I turned up to him and whispered back, "Yeah we talked last Saturday. She was eight months pregnant Sunday."

"Well funny she'll text you but won't update her actual cousin." He laughed and kissed the top of my head. "Why don't we go see her tomorrow before what I had planned. She's actually on the way there."

"Sure! I haven't talked to her in person in weeks. I've only been able to call her."

"Alright babe. We'll plan on it."

We finished watching the movie and Jake was out cold on the couch with his arms wrapped tight around me as if he were protecting me or something. Colton and Abby were asleep long before and Tom was crashed out on the couch. Halle got up to turn the movie off and came and sat next to me trying not to wake Jake.

She whispered, "Listen, Jay. I'm really sorry about today." I was still really upset with her and didn't want to forgive her. "I know what I said was wrong and completely none of my business."

"You're right," I said coldly, "but that doesn't mean it wasn't true. Jake and I, after being apart for so long missed being together. But I need you to trust that we know what we're doing. We don't want to make any mistakes that will ruin the future we have planned together."

"I know, I'm so sorry again. Will you forgive me."

"Yeah, Hal. I forgive you. I'm sorry for snapping at you too."

"It's okay, I deserved it." We giggled a little trying not to wake everyone else up.

"Alright, I'm going to get some sleep. I'll see yah in the morning Jay."

"Night Hal." I grabbed my phone to text my parents that we'd be staying at Colton's house for the night. After sending the text I turned my phone off and tossed it on the sofa next to us. Jake turned and rested his feet on the couch lying down and pulled a pillow up behind his head. I cuddled into him and laid on his chest pulling a blanket over the both of us.

It was weird laying up against him and hearing his heartbeat, but it was also absolutely amazing at the same time. I loved hearing his heart and knowing that it was mine. I laced my fingers in with his and he rested his other hand on my back trying to get comfortable.

Half asleep he muttered the words, "Goodnight Jay."

"Night Jake, I love you."

"And I love you more."