Chapter 20

Patrick's P.O.V

I hold Taylor in my arms as her body becomes limp. Her face is swollen and her nose is stil trickling with blood. Her face is a wash with blood as it becomes smeared when it reaches the wet patches of her face. I can hear the sirens getting closer as I feel Mark behind me looking at the scene in front of us.

The ambulance finally arrives and a few minutes later the police arrive. They slowly take her out of my arms and I feel tears brimming at my tear ducks. I watch as her fragile body is wheeled out of the front door. Mark goes with her to the hospital as the police want to interview us one at a time. I decide to go first as then I can have more time to stay with Taylor while Mark goes and has an interview with the police.

......

It's 2 hours late I get out of the police station and I couldn't be more happy to get out. I stand at the front of the main building waiting for the taxi I ordered to arrive. I watch people going about their business and it hits me how all these people going about their lives and living theirs have no idea what took place today, they probably wouldn't have ever imagined what happened today. I can't get the picture out of my head of her with blood running down her face and her face all battered and swollen. 'Please don't die, be strong T' my mind keep saying as I see the taxi pulling in.

15 minutes later the taxi pulls up to the front of the hospital and I give the money to the taxi driver and tell him to keep the change. I just want to get to Taylor. At all costs.

I walk in and see Mark waiting in the waiting area. "Is she alright?" I ask as he looks up at me.

"Whoa you were ages and they haven't said anything yet, they rushed her to intensive care. But I don't think it's good" he tells me. I nod my head but it doesn't exactly register. My mind knows what he said but it doesn't want to acknowledge it. I turn to face the wall that sits in front of us as Mark looks around. People watching. He was doing that when I first met him. He was staring at me and I coudlnt work out why until I decided to ask and he simply said "I'm a people watcher. You learn a lot from people watching and today I picked you" and from that day on we were friends.

My phone starts to ring and I jump at the sound. Some people give me glares and hold their children tighter or turn away and some just ignore it, too sick to bother.

I answer it just in case it is important and in fact it is. Once I come off the phone Mark looks up at m expecting me to say what it was about.

"It was the Sargent at the police station they want you for your interview for evidence and that" he nods and get's to his feet.

"Well I'll be back, call me if anything happens and if she wakes up say hi for me" I nod as I watch him walk out the sliding automatic door and through into the cool summer air. It's a sunny day but the weather seems to be inappropriate for the circumstanses but as ever life must go on.

I hear the clip clapping of those squeaky shoes that doctors and nurses have on (no high heels of course or fancy men's shoes). There getting closer but I don't want to turn around as I have a feeling that their coming to me. Until the clacking stops and I know.

My eyes close on their own accord as I brace myself for what's to come.

"Excuse me, are you Patrick?" I hear a voice come from behind me as I swivel slowly in my chair.

"Yes" I answer truthfully hoping that this is all still a nightmare.

"Please come this way with me please" she tells me as she leads the way down the hall and turns left down another.

I see the signs above as they flash past in a blur; 'Intensive care', 'Theatre'. She suddenly stops and I almost run into her, stopping myself just in time.

"Here she is, now she's asleep as we've had to put her into a medically induced coma as her brain injuries are serious at this point in time. No more than 2 people in the room and any examinations that we need to do you will need to come out of the room. We don't know when we will be able to wake her up but we'll keep an eye on her. I'm preparing you now as she may not look like she did before her facial injuries are very extensive and we're looking at possible surgery if they do not heal on their own" I nod not really listening, I just want to go in there and see her.

The nurse nods at me and I turn towards the door and twist the nob. The room is so dark at first I think I'm in the wrong room but I see her as I look towards the bed. Her face is even more swollen and she has a bandage around her head where she cut her head. She has bandages all over her body with wires and tubes coming off them. The machine that is helping her breathe is the only noise in the room except her heart rate monitor.

This is going to be a long night...

*****************

Sorry for the late post as I said I was out all night last night so didn't have time to finish and publish it. But here it is. Next post on Friday.