Chapter 25

Greg milled around the kitchen table, sifting through old newspapers and occasionally sitting down to search up information.

"You can stop this madness any time." I said as I sipped my coffee. I didn't usually drink coffee but the nights hadn't been treated me all that well anymore. I would wake up yearning for Grant to be beside me and I wouldn't be able to fall asleep until my body was so exhausted it couldn't stay awake any longer. Needless to say, caffeine had been my savior. At the very least it kept me from brutally lashing out at my pack members.

"He's not even my mate and yet I'm doing all the work, you should be grateful to have such a loyal beta." Greg chided. "This isn't madness at all, by the way, I'm going off of facts, not hunches."

"Whatever you say." I muttered, taking another slurp. "I'm just surprised that Jordan hasn't raced out here to drag me back to his beloved warrior's house so he could force us to have little pups for his pack." I hissed.

"You're still upset about that?" Greg asked.

"Of course I'm upset about it. How could he do such a thing to another alpha?" I growled, "It shows me nothing but disrespect. I lost my mate and instead of simply letting me go to my mate's parent's home he shoved me in a house with a man who recently lost his mate in hopes that we would breed together like mutts. It's disgusting that he would take advantage of me while I was vulnerable."

Greg offered me a reassuring squeeze of the shoulder as he moved to grab yet another newspaper.

"Sterling was even so sweet to me. Like, I know he was supposed to be but it seemed so genuine, like it was just who he was. Frankly, that's the only reason I stayed at his house. He just made me feel really welcome and at home when I needed someone the most, you know?"

"Maybe he wasn't faking it, Vienna." Greg suggested. He had abandoned his post at the newspapers and begun to fry me eggs. I absently told myself that I had the best beta in the world.

"What do you mean?"

"Maybe he's just nice, and maybe he was just as vulnerable as you were, losing a mate is hard on anyone, even a warrior. Then he had this woman who just lost her mate in his house. It doesn't mean he's a horrible person." Greg whispered.

I sighed, "I suppose not, but I can still be mad at Jordan."

Greg gave me a little lopsided smile, "You can be as mad as you would like about that asshole. He had no right to do any of those things."

I stayed with Greg for a few more minutes and I ate the eggs and hash browns he cooked for me rather happily. He was looking out for me more than I was looking out for myself. It felt good to know I had someone in my corner. After I downed the food he forced me to drink a cup of orange juice but he didn't protest when I told him I was going for a run. I guess he knew he couldn't stop me anyway.

My run was light and easy. I wanted to race around like a rabid wolf so that I would be so exhausted I couldn't stand and I would actually sleep but I had to remind myself I had a pack to run. Mate or not, people needed to know their leader was sane so I loped along the out skirts of my pack lands and tried to keep my wolf in check. I expected her to try and race away like the human part of me did, but she was just trying to get back to the house.

Eventually I gave up on trying to fight her and allowed her to run back home. I simply assumed she was craving Greg's comfort. He wasn't Grant but he had been with me through many obstacles and he knew how to keep me calm. So I shifted outside, slithered indoors and pulled a baggy hoody out of the closet.