Chapter 21

"Vienna." Grant said softly, knocking on my bedroom door.

"Go away." I ordered.

I was sitting on my bed with my head in my hands. I hadn't moved in the past twenty minutes since my parents stormed out of the house and I had raced away to my haven.

Grant sighed, fed up with my behavior and walked into my bedroom anyway.

"What do you want?" I demanded, lifting my head up so I could glare at him.

Grant gave me a half smile while he sat down beside me. He wound an arm around my waist, pulling me into his side. "I want to thank you for standing up for me like that." He murmured.

"Of course I stood up for you, you're my mate." I muttered.

"It'll be okay, V, I know it will. They'll understand that you were upset, they'll forgive you when you tell them it was all a mistake."

"A mistake?" I blurted, baffled, "Grant it wasn't a mistake. I'm not embarrassed and planning to go to their house and apologize or allow them to come back into the pack."

He was confused, "Then why are you upset?"

"I'm upset because I let them come into my home and talk to my mate like that. I'm upset because I fought like hell for this title, I almost killed my own father for it, then I let them stay in the pack and they still don't respect me. I'm upset because if the pack finds out I kicked out my parents they might become upset with. A lot of them still aren't comfortable with a female alpha."

Grant placed a finger underneath my chin, carefully tilted my head upwards so I was looking at him then he leaned down and pressed his mouth softly to mine. It was possibly the most tender kiss we shared, slow and easy with no heat or pressure, just gentle affection. His hands cradled my face while mine roamed over his back, trying to get closer to him.

"Wow, what was that for?" I asked when he pulled away.

Grant gave me a shy smile, ducking his head down slightly, "I don't know if you realized it but you basically screamed that you love me at your parents and, well, it's the first time you've said it."

I paused and thought back to the incident. He was right. I had been so furious in the moment that I hadn't even realized the words came out of my mouth, but it was true. I had shouted at my parents, telling them that they were not allowed to speak badly about the man I loved.

"You're right." I whispered, "I did say it."

"Did you mean it?"

I debated Grant's question for a moment, wanting to answer honestly. After a moment or two I nodded my head, "Yes, I meant it, every word of it. Even though it came out angry and in the least romantic way possible."

Grant let out a little sigh and leaned his head against mine, "I love you too." He mumbled, blushing.

I gave him a smile and a quick kiss, "Come on, let's go to bed, I'll deal with the mess I made tomorrow."

After a restful night and a wonderful breakfast Greg showed up at my house, looking beyond frazzled and giddy.

"What's going on with you?" I asked while I scrubbed dishes. "You seem really off today."

Greg gave me a small smile, "I'll tell you later, it's too complicated to say it all at once. And I need Grant to be around when I tell you." He said, "Where did he go anyway?"

"Out for a run, I think last night was pretty rough on him. He hasn't talked about it much, but I think being treated so badly by my parents really hurt his feelings."

"Oh, yeah, the whole pack is talking about that. Did you really kick your parents out of the pack?"

"I did." I admitted, "I could handle them being ignorant idiots to me, but not to my mate. Besides, I've taken their crap for way too long. I just needed a reason to kick them out."

"You did the right thing, you handled it like an adult when most wolves would simply attack them or killed them."

"I considered it, but I didn't want Grant to see me like that."

We chatted for a while longer, our conversation transferring to his mate and personal life, then back to pack life, and finally paper work which ignited my drive to get all the work on my desk completed. Greg helped me every now and then, popping his head in to answer questions and redirect my attention which was helpful and within a few hours nearly everything was done.

After all the paper work was completed I milled around the kitchen, looking for ingredients to cook up a wonderful meal for Grant when he got back. He would be starving after his run; he had already been out for several hours.

"No sign of Grant yet?" Greg asked.

"Nope." I ignored the fresh pile of papers he dumped on my desk.

"That's odd, he's been gone for a long time, did he say where he was going?"

"Just around the pack lands, but he probably extended his run a little."

"Are you worried?"

I glanced over at Greg, wondering if I should admit to the nervousness I felt. I didn't want to; I was the alpha, sturdy and strong, not a worried, love sick wreck. But he had been gone for a long time so I nodded my head slightly.

"I think it's time I asked you some questions then." Greg stated.

v"