Chapter 6

Within the first hour of being on my pack land I discovered just how much Grant hated people. When we entered my territory my warriors spotted us immediately and started to investigate this new comer with a sense of passive interest. The daunting forms of my warriors intimidated Grant to no ended, even though they weren't behaving aggressively. He, unsuccessfully, tried to hide his fear as they sniffed at him. His eyes kept darting around and he tried to move out of their range all of the time, like he was worried they would clamp their tear into his badly damaged fur.

After that, things only got worse.

Once the warriors made it clear that he was no threat to the pack the other wolves and humans became curious. People gawked at him from afar, others came incredibly close to eye him up. I knew everyone was wondering who he was and why their alpha had brought this scraggily wolf onto their territory with no warning. It had been years before any intruder had dared to breach our borders.

But I was not prepared to announce that he was my mate. And hearing his hard breathing and watching his exhausted steps, I knew he wouldn't be able to handle it right now either. Besides, everyone was watching us already and someone would have the correct theory about my reasoning.

Hell, we caused such chaos I didn't even have to call for the pack doctor. As we were nearing my home I saw a gorgeous blonde woman with a clipboard and stethoscope hustling towards us. Obviously, someone else had alerted her of the low condition of my mate or she had seen it for herself and sprung into action.

Likewise, Greg had probably sensed my arrival and hurried over in his human form with clothing for me in his arms.

"Alpha, are you alright? You were gone for so long I nearly sent the trackers out to look for you." Greg said. His voice did sound worried, but I didn't miss the way those icy blue eyes judged Grant.

I shifted into my human form, snagging the shirt out of his arms before I replied to him, "I'm alright, you don't need to worry." I pulled on a pair of sweatpants then turned to assess my mate. He looked absolutely terrible, "Can you do me a favor and grab some clothes for him? We didn't have any time to grab his belongings from his house." I lied. Greg didn't complain or argue. He just jogged to his house as quickly as he could.

"Oh, you poor thing." Karma, the pack doctor cooed to my mate. She reached out to touch Grant's thick brown fur but he side stepped away and I held up my hand to stop her as other pack members watched the scene from the distance. I had had enough of being placed under the microscope for one day and I wanted to make my mate as comfortable as possible.

"Let's get him to my house for a little privacy." I said, but it was more of an order than a suggestion.

"Of course, Alpha." Karma said politely, pushing aside my obvious hostility.

Grant gave an exhausted huff, but followed me to my home. He seemed to be so lethargic that Karma's presence was going unnoticed despite how anxious other people made him.

But I loathed Karma and I kept a steady eye on her as we moved into my home and Grant's fatigued wolf fell onto the floor of my living room. There was truly nothing wrong with Karma. She was a stunning blonde woman with an equally beautiful white wolf. She was an intelligent human and a powerful pack doctor who always had everyone's best interest at heart. There was nothing mean spirited or cruel about her.

Which is why I hated her.

She should've been the luna of this pack. She should've found an incredible mate who was just as perfect as she is and they would've ruled this pack so easily. Then she would've had wonderful pups who would grow up to be just like her. And everyone would love to follow their every wish and command.