Chapter 12

At first Grant was very gentle and my wolf was nothing other than shocked by his advances. The very tips of his fingers hardly brushed against the tips of my fur, fearing that I would lash out and bite, but I was too surprised to even wag my tail. But when I stayed perfectly still for a moment and didn't show any signs of discomfort his hand became stronger and bolder, playing with my long ears, scratching my neck, and ruffling my coat.

As much as I tried to prevent my wolf from being a lap dog before I couldn't help but love this. If I had been a cat I would've been purring non-stop, but instead my tail was simply whipping itself against the leather of the couch and small whimpers leaked out of my lips whenever he stopped.

I don't know how long this continued, it could have been hours, or just a few minutes, but eventually my ears began to droop outwards and my eyes shut on their own accord. For the first time, I fell asleep on my mate, listening to his breathing and feeling his soft hands run through my fur.

My sleep was peaceful. Far more calm and content than it had been in years and I felt like my soul sighed with happiness inside my heart.

When I woke up I had shifted out of my human form and was splayed across my couch with nothing covering my body. Embarrassed and startled, I gasped, shot up, and quickly wrapped a blanket around myself. Only a second later I realised it was pointless because I scanned the space around me and found it empty. My only company was the bright sun streaming through the windows. Damn, I must've slept through the whole night.

With a yawn I tugged my blanket tighter around myself and then stood up, pausing for a quick stretch before I headed upstairs to my bedroom.

After a quick shower I brushed my teeth and twisted my still wet hair up into a bun before I slipped into some clothes. I don't know why, but standing at my closet I hesitated slightly before grabbing my most fitted hoodie and the least stained pair of jeans I had. Subconsciously I knew I was trying to look good for Grant but when I caught a glance of myself in the mirror I was immediately disappointed. Yes, it was the nicest clothes I had but it was still now dress. I always argued that my clothes were versatile but now I was truly able to see that they were also very frumpy.

So I did something I never thought I would do.

And an hour later I was being dragged around the mall by a very excited Karma.

"I can't believe you asked me to come shopping with you!" she gushed, "You don't seem like the shopping type. I think you've worn the same clothes since you became alpha." She giggled. "You must want to look good for Grant." She pushed, beaming up at me, "It's Grant isn't it?"

"Yeah." I admitted. I tried to look contained or bored when we entered a store loaded to the brim with dresses, skirts, and blouses but I was having a very difficult time holding myself back. It had been ages since I had gone shopping and even longer since I actually wanted to go get new clothes.

"You're so lucky to have a man like Grant." Karma said dreamily. She pulled out a black dress and held it against my body before scrunching up her nose and placing it back on the rack.

"Lucky." I scoffed, "He hates me."

I regretted the words the instant they were out of my mouth. It wasn't because they were true, but rather because I had always been incredibly private and telling someone like Karma about my love life seemed wrong. I was her leader, not her friend. Besides, she wasn't supposed to know what happened behind closed doors.

Karma, as usual, didn't seem to care that I had kind of just spilled my guts. The only sign that she had even heard me was her brow furrowing as she flicked through dresses.