Lane:

I wait at the bus terminal in the warm breeze.

Bus after bus comes by, and my patience is running thin.

I pull open my bag and search around for my book, I packed four and have to decide which one to read.

To Kill A Mockingbird, The Outsiders, Great Expectations or a small purple book, the title has faded away over the years.

I open To Kill A Mockingbird, and begin to breathe in the words of Harper Lee.

I have made it a quarter of the way through the book when I hear my name.

"Rory!?" I look up, Lane.

I put my book on top of my bag and jump up.

"Hey! I thought you would never get here!" I say, hugging her.

"Where are Zach and Brian?" I ask, not seeing them.

"Oh, they headed over to see the venue we're playing in tonight." Lane says, readjusting her backpack, which is falling off her shoulders. 

"I resent that, they couldn't have at least said hello?." I say. Beginning to walk down the sidewalk beside Lane.

"How's your roommate?" Lane asks. "Annoying, chill, give me some personality traits so I can be prepared to be replaced."

"Oh, yeah no preparation needed."

"What, so annoying?"

"Paris is annoying. She's one of my best friends."

"Not annoying?"

"I don't know." I say, shoving her questions away.

The truth is, I don't know. I don't know if I want Jess back in my life, I don't know what I'm doing in New York, I don't know what's happening for me, I don't know how I feel about anything.

It sort of just feels like one big dream, not Disneyland dream, not nightmare, just a trance.

Lane stops asking questions, probably because of the force I put in my last statement.

We arrive in time at the coffee shop I've been going to lately.

It's a small space, tables for two and three, but it has a nice quiet vibe, the people there are nice and it has a nice corner in the back to read.

The walls are a white colour, the tables are brown, the counter is grey. They have hung colourful artwork on the walls. There are no obnoxious overhead lights, but instead large floor lamps.

I open the door, Jennette looks up from behind the counter, she has dark red hair and brown eyes. She smiles.

"Hey Rory!" She says, busy organizing coffee cups.

"Hey Jennette!" I answer, leading Lane to my corner in the back.

"Nice place." Lane says, sitting down.

"Took me long enough to find it."

"You've been here just barely a week, and you have your own Luke's." She says, smiling.

"It's no Luke's." I answer.

"Lorelai misses you like crazy."

"Oh, I miss her." I say, feeling a pang in my heart. "I miss that whole damn town."

Jennette comes up to our table.

"Hey, I'm Jennette, I'm assuming you're Lane?" She says.

"Yeah, and you're Rory's Luke." Lane says .