Code Blue

Edited 5/18/16 Changed the end of the chapter

"Y/N-chan? What's wrong?" Juuzou exclaimed.

I stared at him from a few feet away, my stomach twisting with fear. Whatever I thought I just saw...it was gone. Juuzou was staring up at me, ruby irises hugging his black pupils, dilated with fear.

"N-nothing. It's okay. I'm just really tired and I'm...I must be seeing things."

I hesitantly approached his bed again, laying down next to him cautiously.

"Y/N-chan...I'm sleepy," he said, yawning and laying his head on my shoulder.

I stroked his messy hair, trying to finger comb the tangles out, noticing how striking the dark locks were against his pale skin. He was already asleep, tiny snores escaping his lips.

I decided I may as well take a nap too, but just as I closed my eyes, someone knocked at the door.

Your nurse entered.

"Y/N-chan, it's time for you to fill out your discharge papers," she whispered, noticing the sleeping Juuzou.

I got off the bed carefully and followed her.

I signed the papers quickly and handed them back to her. She smiled brightly.

"I'm just going to go home and get a change of clothes, then come back. I was hoping I'd be allowed to sleep in Juuzou's room."

"I'm afraid we can't let you do that. Visiting hours end at six p.m." I looked at the clock, seeing it was 5:45 p.m.

"But..last time Juuzou was here, I slept in his room. And when I was here, he slept in mine."

"Circumstances... are different this time. We have to enforce the visiting hours in Suzuya-san's current condition."

I felt tears pricking the backs of my eyes.

"What do you mean, current condition?"

"I legally can't discuss that with you. Visiting hours begin again at eight a.m. tomorrow."

I was shocked at the nurse's now-cold demeanor. She had been so friendly before.

I headed back to Juuzou's room for the remaining ten minutes of visiting hours.

He woke up when I sat down in the chair next to him. He rubbed his eyes sleepily then squinted at me, registering the look on my face.

"Y/N-chan, are you okay?"

"They won't let me sleep here, or even stay here late. They said I have to go home and come back tomorrow."

"That's a little weird. But it's okay. I'll be okay until tomorrow." He forced a smile, clearly disappointed but not wanting to upset me further.

I kissed him on the cheek, avoiding the bruised areas. "I'll be here first thing in the morning. I love you, Juuzou."

"I love you too, Y/N-chan," he said without hesitation.

I left the room quickly, fighting back tears.

I know it's silly to be so upset about not being able to stay overnight. But I just have this bad feeling...

**The next morning*

"I'm here to see Suzuya Juuzou."

An uninterested nurse checked me in and fastened a pink wristband around my wrist.

I hurried down the hall, knocking before rushing into the room.

I was so relieved to see Juuzou sitting up in bed, but I couldn't shake the nagging feeling that something was wrong.

"Where'd you get a coloring book?" I asked, plopping down in the chair by his bed.

"The nurse brought it for me because I told her I was losing my mind from boredom. They usually only give them to little kids." He giggled.

"I'm coloring this cat for you," he said, smiling.

He set the book aside, but not before I caught a glimpse of a cat done in psychedelic colors and patterns.

I grinned and scooted the chair closer to his bed. "I missed you so much last night. The apartment was so empty without you." I moved to take his hand but noticed the IV hooked up to it.

That wasn't there yesterday...

"Why'd they give you an IV, Juuzou?"

"Oh..I don't remember everything that happened. There's a gap in my memory.. I remember them giving me a shot and restraining me for a bit..but I don't remember what happened before that..I just remember being really mad...and hungry. I fell asleep after they gave me the shot. Then later in the night my nurse came and forced me to eat. I couldn't stop throwing up after that so they hooked me up to an IV to give me something for the nausea."

"They restrained you?! That's not right...I'm going to go talk to your doctor."

"No! Y/N-chan. Don't do that. He's the one who told them to restrain me..he already knows."

I didn't know what to say. I just looked at Juuzou, feeling helpless. I noticed his cheeks appeared sunken in, probably from not being able to eat.

"Juuzou...you need to eat something...you're already losing weight. You're not going to heal without nutrition."

"I know...I'll..I'll try again tonight...I'm really tired..."

He used what seemed to be all of his strength to scoot over in the bed so I could lay next to him. I quickly fell asleep, having been unable to sleep last night.

**

I was woken up by a loud, droning beep. I sat up. Juuzou was still asleep.

"Code blue, room 49. Code blue, room 49." The loudspeaker announced.

I screamed just as the nurses rushed into the room.

I hurried to get off the bed and backed into the furthest corner of the room, sliding down to sit on the floor, shaking and hugging my knees.

The nurses flattened Juuzou's bed . "Charging....clear." one of the nurses shouted as she placed the paddles on Juuzou's chest.

I couldn't watch anymore. I hid my face, the constant drone of the flat-line echoing in my ears. Suddenly it stopped, replaced by a slow beeping.

"He's back."

I lifted my head, tears streaming down my face. The nurses were raising Juuzou's bed back up, checking his pulse.

As they were exiting the room, I stopped one of them. "Excuse me...Why....why did that just happen??"

"The doctor will be in shortly to answer your questions."

"But-" the nurse shook her head and walked out of the room.

I sat at Juuzou's bedside, crying silently, willing him to open his eyes. He still hadn't done so when the doctor entered the room.

"Hello, Y/N-chan."

"Doctor, what happened to Juuzou just now...Why did that happen?"

"Well, he had a lung transplant. That's not an easy surgery for your body to adjust to. He's been having a hard time with his recovery, as I'm sure you know. He hasn't been able to eat, which is making it hard for him to heal. Even IV nutrients make him vomit. I'm giving him anti emetics, but he's still unable to eat. With the trauma his body's been through, it's not that unusual that he's not up to eating."

I don't trust this doctor...he seems so dishonest...I feel like he's hiding something..

I forced a smile. "Okay, well thank you doctor Kanou."

He nodded and left the room brusquely.