Asahara Sakiko

The state of distress I was in that night was unbelievable. I couldn't tell what was causing me more pain; the information I'd just found out, or the way I'd treated Juuzou.

"She's alive...but she's not okay..."

Juuzou's words echoed through my mind on an endless loop. What does that mean? What's wrong with her? Is she sick? Is she brain-dead? Countless scenarios circled through my head, each one worse than the last. I knew I wouldn't rest until I found out the whole truth. 

But I also knew I had to somehow fix things with Juuzou.

The look in his eye after I said those horrible things...he said he loved me and  I tore him down...That was a big deal for him...what is wrong with me... I don't know if I said those things because I was mad at him...or because I was scared of him loving me...I don't know how I feel. But first things first, I'm going to headquarters tomorrow, I'll speak to...I'll speak to Yukinori Shinohara..Juuzou always speaks highly of him...He should be able to tell me about my bio mother...It's all in her file anyway...I just hope I don't run into Juuzou while I'm there.

**

I marched into headquarters the next morning at 8 a.m. sharp. I hoped by getting there at this horrible hour that I'd avoid seeing Juuzou, and also get this over with faster.

At the front desk a young woman with short hair asked what business I  had at the CCG.

"My name's Y/N. I'm-I'm here to see Yukinori Shinohara." I said, hoping I  sounded confident.

She nodded and picked up the phone, speaking into after pressing a few buttons. "Shinohara-san, a Y/N is here to see you. Okay. I'll send her back." She put the phone down. "Two doors down on your left."

I pulled up my hoodie and looked down at the floor as I walked, on the off chance Juuzou was at work this early, I didn't want him to see me. I couldn't face him.

I could hear muffled conversations all around me, headquarters was very busy for this time of day. A thought nagged at the back of my mind, Why is it so busy here? What's going on? But I pushed it away in exchange for more worries about my bio mother.

Shinohara waved me into his office before I even got a chance to knock at the door. He gestured for me to take a seat.

"What brings you to see me, Y/N-chan?"

I took a deep breath. "I was...I was wondering if you could take me to see my birth mother..wherever she is."

He nodded. "Excuse me a second, I'll go get the file."

He returned quickly. "I just had to grab it off Juuzou's mess of a desk," He said, chuckling.

My heart skipped a beat at the sound of his name.

Shinohara opened the file and flipped through it, stopping at a page towards the end.

"Okay, let's see...Asahara Sakiko is staying at the General Hospital, under the care of Dr. Kanou. Y/N-chan... the reason Juuzou kept this from you is because your mother is... not in the best of shape."

"What happened to her? I need to know. Please."

"The information that Seido had showed you was correct, except he didn't finish telling you all of it. The night that Fukiyama attacked and 'killed' Asahara, she didn't die...rather...she didn't remain dead. She was rushed to the hospital and operated on by Dr. Kanou. What Dr. Kanou does... he operates on people near death, in need of organs, and he replaces their organs with ghouls organs. The same night Ashara was attacked, the CCG raided a building in the 11th ward. Many ghouls were killed. This presented the perfect opportunity. Dr. Kanou replaced your mother's damaged heart with the heart of a deceased ghoul. But he didn't stop there. He removed the kakuhou, which is the organ in a ghoul that stores their RC cells, from the same ghoul, and placed it in your mother, making her partly a ghoul. This served no purpose other than to satiate his need to experiment. But it didn't go as it normally did in his other operations. Your mother may have lost too much blood, or maybe she was dead for too long before the operation. We don't know exactly what happened, but her mental capacities suffered. She no longer acts human. She lives to eat, and her mind is... checked out the rest of the time."