Coffee

We went to a random coffee shop Juuzou had selected, in lieu of his favorite shop- the one I worked at. I didn't feel like going there and having to explain why I'd been MIA.

Sitting down at a table, I was sure the two of us made an interesting pair; myself in a hoodie with the hood pulled up to hide my uncombed hair, e/c eyes red-rimmed and swollen from crying, and Juuzou, looking his usual adorable self, perched strangely on the coffee shop's chair, seemingly unable to sit still as we waited for our order.

My appetite long gone, I ordered just a cup of coffee, with lots of creamer. Mom used to joke that I only liked a little bit of coffee with my creamer. I smiled briefly at the memory, but the fleeting happiness was squelched by the harsh reality of my situation.

Grief must've shown on my face, because when Juuzou looked up from the piece of cake he was eating, his face was face was slightly puzzled.

"Y/N-chan... are you ok?"

I nodded, wiping my eyes quickly. I'd just put my hands back down on the table when Juuzou awkwardly reached out his own hand and put it over mine.

"It's...It's gonna be okay Y/N."

The warmth of his hand on mine was comforting and I turned my hand over so our palms were touching. I was scared to move, scared to even breathe lest I ruin this moment suspended in time. This felt different from holding hands in the street, this felt more.. intimate.

Juuzou giggled. "You're blushing, Y/N."

"Shut up, I am not." I protested, feeling my cheeks grow even hotter.

But I didn't move my hand.

"Juuzou... I don't want to go back to the CCG today... Do I have to?"

"I can cover for you, if you want! Today is my day off, anyway~" He smiled at me.

"If it's your day off, why were you there earlier?"

"Because I didn't want you to be there alone, silly," he stated, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

The butterflies in my stomach fluttered, and for a moment, I could almost pretend that everything was okay. That I wasn't sitting here with this cute boy because I'd just found out my dead mother had lied to me for practically my whole life. That my whole existence hadn't just been shattered.

I was shaken from my thoughts by the waitress coming with the bill. I reached for my wallet, but Juuzou grabbed my hand again. "Nope, it's on me!"

"But Juuzou..."

"No but's Y/N-chan, I insist!" he beamed at me. I couldn't help but smile back.

He closed out the check, and we left the shop.

"Thank you..for the coffee Juuzou."

He acknowledged me with a small chuckle and a smile.

Without overthinking things, I moved closer to him and kissed him on the cheek. He looked at me, his mouth a small "o" of surprise, before quickly looking away and announcing "I'm going to walk you home Y/N-chan. It's getting dark and I don't want you walking the streets alone. I would never forgive myself if something happened to you!"

Why did I do that...that was so embarrassing...I definitely weirded him out...

The two of us strolled down the street, hand in hand. It was obvious he was trying to match my pace instead of going at his usual quick pace.

I felt safe in his presence, but I also had that strange chill on the back of my neck that accompanies the feeling of being followed or watched.

I thought I heard footsteps behind us a few times, but was too scared to mention it to Juuzou in case whoever was there heard me.