The Accident

"I dunno Juuzou. I'm pretty sure Akira would win in a fight between the two of you," I said teasingly.

We were walking down the street hand in hand. It was dusk, and we were heading home from having dinner with Akira herself. I had come to really enjoy her company while she was training me, and now the three of us often went out for a meal together.

"But why would we be fighting? Neither one of us is a ghoul." Juuzou was puzzled.

"It's hypothetical Juuzou. And she would kick your hypothetical butt."

"Mmm.. I don't think so Y/N-chan," he replied, giggling.

Suddenly his eyes widened and he pushed me away from him, out of the crosswalk. I fell, my head striking the curb, and everything went black.

**

Beep. Beep. Beep.

My eyelids fluttered as a light was shined into them.

"She's waking up," a deep, familiar voice stated.

The light was gone and I stared up into Doctor Hiraki's kind face.

"Good morning. Can you tell me your name, your birthday, and what city you live in please?"

I did as he asked, knowing he was checking for memory loss.

"Good. Now.. Do you remember how you got here?"

I thought back. Flashes of memory erupted behind my eyes.

A crosswalk. Bright lights. Juuzou's red eyes wide with fright. Falling.

"I remember... But I don't understand exactly what happened... Do I have another concussion.. Where's Juuzou?!"

Doctor Hiraki sighed. "No, you show no signs of concussion, which is surprising considering you lost consciousness. Suzuya is... In surgery. He was brought to us in critical condition."

The blood drained from my face. "Is he... Is he going to be okay?" My voice trembled.

"It's touch and go right now. Dr Kanou is an excellent surgeon... If a little... Eccentric."

That name sounded vaguely familiar. Then again, Juuzou and I had both spent some time in this hospital, so that wasn't surprising.

"Doctor Hiraki... What happened? I don't understand even though I remember everything up until I blacked out."

"From witness reports... It seems you and Suzuya were crossing the street, when a car barreled through the crosswalk. Police believe the driver was drunk. Suzuya pushed you out of the way, which is why you have virtually no injuries except for bruising. But he was unable to get out of the way before the car hit him."

My head was spinning.

Juuzou...

The only danger we've been on the lookout for is Ikeda... What we should have been scared of is crossing the street...

Juuzou... Please be okay. I'm not ready to go on without you... I just found you...

"When will he be out of surgery?"

"There's no way of telling. Trauma surgery can be hours. I'm not sure what his injuries are because I'm not the doctor on his case. But I promise to let you know as soon as I find out anything."

"Thank you Doctor."

He patted my arm reassuringly. "Try to get some rest."