Chapter Twelve

Hazel

I was happy, finally I'd shifted. I looked down at my white paws as I tested out the new form. Lexi was excited, I could literally see her bouncing around. I chuckled which came out more of a growl then anything else. I suddenly remembered that someone had been calling my name during the shift and snapped my gaze around. I froze when I seen a large black wolf, not immediately recognizing the scent. I bowed my head and growled.

The wolf just cocked it's head and laid down on the ground. I took another sniff letting the scent fill my nose. I then realized it was Malachy, feeling a bit guilty I whimpered. He stood up and padded over to me, and rubbed his furry body against mine. The tingled shot through our connection and for a moment I relished it, until I remembered what this meant. Not only had I shifted and could now go home, I'd told Malachy I'd accept the rejection soon.

Moving away from Malachy, I took off running through the forest. For now I could at least learn my wolf form. I could hear Malachy behind me and I ignored the tightness in my chest. I was suddenly tackled and I yelped in surprise, but relaxed a moment later when I felt the tingled going through my body. I watched as he turned from wolf to man and was very thankful that I was still in wolf form because seeing him above me naked had me blushing hard. I wiggled out from under him and turned my head away.

I heard Malachy chuckle. "You're very beautiful." He said quietly, "shift back." He said.

I shook my head, not wanting to be naked in front of him. He laughed again and my vision was suddenly cut off by something covering my eyes. I used my pawd to pull it off and seen that it was a shirt. I looked to Malachy who now wore shorts. "Go change behind a tree."

I grabbed the shirt and ran behind a tree. I imagined myself in human form and slowly my bones began to reform themselves. I slipped the shirt on and walked out. I kept my gaze off of Malachy even though I could feel his gaze scorching me.

"Are you the King's daughter?" He asked bluntly.

I looked at him slowly, nodding. "Why didn't you say that? Why keep it a secret?" I shrugged.

"It didn't matter. You have your opinion of me, me being the King's daughter makes no difference." I said in defense.

He nodded, looking uncomfortable. "Your right. I'm-" he cut off.

I waited, hoping that he'd changed his mind but when he didn't speak again the tightness in my chest became worse. I could feel the sadness swirling around me, but I held my head up and walked closer to him. Once I was right in front of him I stopped. He looked at me, I could see the guilt, conflict and regret in his eyes but without words those feelings meant nothing to me, or so I told myself.

"I, princess Hazel, soon to be Queen of the werewolves accept your rejection." I swallowed the sob threatening to break free. I watched his eyes widen and he moved towards me but I moved away, no longer able to look at him. "It's done. Your free. I hope- that your find whatever, whoever it is that you want. I'll be leaving tonight." With that I walked away and didn't look back, I couldn't. I was in too much pain. I'd never seen nor heard of a mate rejecting or accepting said rejection so I didn't know how long the pain would last. I could only hope it was soon.

I walked through the trees and was immediately brought into Sage's arms. Cole right behind him looking worried. "Where the he'll did you go? I was worrie-" he cut himself off as he took in my scent. "You shifted?" I nodded. "You smell like him.. was he with you?" I nodded again. "Haz.. are you okay?"

I started to nod my head, but then gave up and shook it. "It's done... Can we go home now? Tonight?" I said hopeful.

Sage stared at me for a moment, then nodded. I buried my face in his chest and cried silently as he led me away from everyone staring. Once I heard the door click, I began to sob as the pain raked my body.