Chapter Fourteen

** Malachy **

I clenched and unclenched my fist as I watched the car disappear with my mate inside. Ash growled and pushed for control. He wanted me to stop her, to make her stay with us but I couldn't do that. Not with the distrust I felt. I couldn't do that to her. Sage's words repeated through my head over and over again. I could feel my anger rise.

If you don't get your shit together and realize what your letting walk away then you never deserved her to begin with, he'd said. And if you don't get it together know that I'll be there to pick up the pieces. I'all be the one to comfort her, because I love her that much.

I growled at the memory, I knew I fucked up. I've done nothing but since I've met Hazel. I had so much to apologize for. I ran my hand through my hair frustrated. I felt a hand clamp down on my shoulder and turned to see my father and mother.

"Why did you let her leave?" Claire asked. Concerned for not only Hazel but for me.

I looked away ashamed. "I'm worried I'll fuck up more than I have already. I always thought that I had to worry about the females, because it was mother who cheated. But, I've done nothing but hurt Hazel even if I thought I was justified I realized I wasn't. I was deluded by hatred against not just my mother but towards myself." I shook my head, laughing bitterly. "I should have said something sooner, before things got out of hand. The first time I seen her with another man was when I was five."

I heard Claire gasp, while my father growled low but I continued. "I had accidently walked in while they were together. But she- she just stopped for a moment to look at me then ordered me to come in and watch. If I didn't, she said she'd beat me. Five year old me was afraid that she'd actually do it. Then it did turn to beatings but no matter how old I got I loved her, I couldn't bring myself to stand up to her. I was weak." I shook my head in disgust. "I promised myself after you exiled her that I'd never let anyone have any sort of power over me and Hazel showing up and turning out to be my mate- I was afraid I'd be stuck in the same situation you were with mom."

My father suddenly hugged me tightly, I wasn't used to the affection from my father. I wasn't used to affection at all. "You- I am so sorry Malachy. I'm so sorry. You are not weak for loving the woman who gave life to you, nor are you ever going to be in a situation like mine. Your mother was-is sick. Hazel is nothing like her. You can't run from your destiny son. And that is Hazel." My father pulled away, smiling sadly. "You need to let the past go and look to the future. Can you go on without your mate?"

I was thoughtful for a moment, her big blue eyes, long blond hair and her beautifully adorable face flashed through my mind. She was sweet, caring and even though I hadn't went out of my way to get to know her I watched her. She played with the kids, liked to read, always smiled even if it was forced. Hazel was strong and I loved her. My eyes widened at what I just admitted to myself, I looked at my father and he nodded knowingly.

"No. I can't.."

"Then what the hell are you waiting for boy? Go claim your mate, before it's too late." I was pushed toward the door. I didn't hesitate to pack a bag and put it in my truck. I kissed Claire goodbye and shook my fathers hand before I set off. I was going to claim Hazel and pray to goddess she forgave me for everything I've done.