Part three

“I'm sorry Gary, I can't pay you this week. My boss fired me last Friday and I have been looking for work all weekend.” That wasn't a lie. As soon as Pete fired me, I went straight out looking for a new job.

“Right Alix. I’ll give you till Wednesday to get the money. Or I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to leave.” he replied, leaving my flat. I’d been renting his flat for over a year and there wasn't anywhere else as cheap as that.

It wasn't all bad though, I had found a job in a bar. As a coyote. It wasn’t official yet, but the woman in the bar had arranged a trial day for Tuesday night. I don’t understand how I managed to get a trial so quickly, but I guess something good must have to come from the past week I’ve had. The only thing wrong with it though was I now had nowhere to leave Jess when I went to work. I would be the youngest working there but the only one with a kid. The woman said there were many cheap babysitters nearby but I didn't like leaving Jess with strangers. It had taken so long for her to settle in at her old crèche, and I just don’t like the thought of leaving her with somebody I barely know, and I won’t be able to see her on my breaks either, it’ll be horrible.

                I closed the flat door and joined Jessica in the lounge. She was playing happily with a box of her toys, making a mess as usual. I couldn't understand how my life had changed in just two short days. I'm not really looking forward to starting my new job tomorrow, I didn’t particularly enjoy bar work, but since I had done it for so long, it was an easy access for getting jobs. I mean, it’ll be the same old routine there too. Working shifts in another bar, and dancing for the drunk men. Only now did I realise that I should have taken Pete's money instead of having to earn it like this.

I spent the rest of the day picking out my clothes for work tomorrow night, while Jess was in a good mood for once, allowing me to relax whilst she quietly played with her dolls. I don't really have that many clothes and the ones I do have, aren't really anything special. In the end I settled for a pair of leather animal print trousers and a low cut black top. I suppose that would have to do for now. As for a babysitter, I really don't know what I am going to do. It was easier at the other bar because they had a crèche, but here there's nothing.

I didn't see much point in having an early night for my job as it was at night anyway, so I stayed up and made the most of my time with Jess. I had finally managed to find someone to watch her for me while I was at work. While I was rooting through my draws for clothes, I found an old year book from school and had called an old friend. The trouble was, we hadn't spoken for a few years and had drifted apart. But after I mentioned money, he seemed happy enough to help me out. I knew it wasn’t too ideal, and seemed pretty risky, but back in high school, he was one of my closest friends, and although we hadn’t spoken in a while, I knew I could trust him, plus he would be making a bit of spare cash for himself.

I woke up earlier than usual to the sound of Jessica banging on her crib. She had obviously been woken up by the loud bangs on the door that I had somehow managed to block out. I scooped Jess up by my waist and went to see who on earth it was. I'm not exactly a morning person so wasn't surprised when the person on the other side of the door looked horrified when they were greeted by a half asleep monster in a pair of old shorts and a t-shirt.

It turned out to be Matt. The guy who wasn't meant to be here for around another nine hours. He stood smiling with his old acoustic guitar hanging off his shoulder and a rucksack in his hand. His dark hair flopped down his face so he had to keep ruffling it out the way. While his tall, manly figure still remained. Okay, so i guess I had a crush on him at college.

“Matt? What are you doing here? It’s eight in the morning!” I stood, surprised by his early appearance, wishing I had sorted myself out before I had answered the door, I couldn’t have given a worse impression.