track 24: best part

She was just finished sparring with Nico, having sparred with him for a while now, but she's been distracted the whole time.

"What the hell Reyna?" His voice snapped her out of her thoughts. She blinked twice before responding, seemingly disoriented.

He was staring at her accusingly; mad. "You weren't focusing the whole time! What were you thinking? I could've hurt you."

She should have melted because of his words, as if he didn't want to get her hurt, especially not because of him. She would have, really, but before she had the chance to, Gwen's words rang in her head.

"He's been visiting Camp Jupiter, Reyna. Tell me, are you together? Because it seems to me he isn't making any effort. Does he even really care about you?"

She felt something constrict inside her chest. She glared back at him. "I'm sick of this."

Nico was taken aback but he didn't show it. "What?"

Her temper getting the best of her,
She yelled at him. "I'm tired of this game, Nico!"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Suddenly, feeling tired, she could feel her eyes burning, she said.

"This . . . game we're playing, with you pushing me away all the time, But pulling me back whenever I try to move on, you act like you care about me, then the next, you don't. It's so tiring and it ... "

Her voice broke, a few tears escaping from her eyes. "... It hurts. It's making me feel miserable. I don't want to feel this way anymore, I don't want to wait for you anymore."

When she saw that he didn't even bother giving a response, she looked away, as if she was expecting it.
"I don't want to love you anymore."

It wasn't even a second after she said those words, when she felt her back pressed against a tree, Nico was gripping her forearms.

He was furious, and his eyes we're
Blazing with an emotion he couldn't justify. "You're wrong."

"What —"

"Don't make assumptions on your own, don't dare think I don't care about you." He glared at her. "You don't understand. You don't know how I feel."

She returned his glare. "Then what do you feel? Tell me. I don't know anymore, Nico! It doesn't feel like you care at all!"

He gripped her arms tighter almost to the point of pain, but she didn't notice because his next words took her breath away.

"Who do you think I came back for?
Aside from an annoying girl
with black hair and obsidian eyes?"