The Journal {17}

Comincia dall'inizio

                “I just don’t want to see you get hurt,” she said.

                The bell rang and kids hurried out of the classroom. Ms. Michaels moved to the front of the room and sat at her desk as I pulled out some homework to finish up during the period.

                I stuck my earphones in, letting myself get lost in my music as I did my work. Music was my greatest escape.

                “It only hurt a bit, I still feel like shit, and I think you won’t be able to recognize me now. It’s easier to quit, it’s harder to admit, you’re pushing me, you’re fucking pushing me,” my iPod screamed.

                My phone buzzed in my iPod a few minutes later. I pulled it out and answered without checking the ID.

                “Hello?” I said absentmindedly, trying to figure out a homework problem.

                “Where the fuck are you?” Francis asked angrily.

                I winced at how loud he was. “What are you talking about? Aren’t you in the music room?” I asked in confusion. Why was he mad at me?

                Ms. Michaels was watching me curiously. But I could tell by the look in her eyes that she knew I was talking to Francis.

                “I went to check on you and you weren’t anywhere in sight! God Nash, for all I knew, Chad and Amanda had kicked your ass again,” he said.

                “Frank, I’m fine. I didn’t go to lunch. I stayed in Ms. Michaels’s room to get some work done,” I said, hoping he would calm down.

                I waited for a reply and furrowed my brow. “Hello? Frank?”

                I checked my phone and sighed. He had hung up on me.

                “Is everything alright?” Ms. Michaels asked.

                “Everything is fine,” I assured her. “He just got worried because I wasn’t at the cafeteria.”

                Ms. Michaels opened her mouth to say something, but the classroom door banged open. We both jumped in surprise and watched as Frank stormed in and over to me.

                “You, come with me,” he growled, gripping my wrist tightly.

                “Frank! Ease up,” I said, keeping my voice low so that Ms. Michaels wouldn’t know that he was hurting me.

                “Francis Phillips! Let him go right now!” Ms. Michaels said sternly.

                “Shut up Ms. Michaels. I know that you think I abuse Nash or whatever,” Frank said, glaring at her. “Come on Nash. You don’t need to be around her. I’ll keep you safe from Amanda and Chad.”

                “Mr. Phillips, you will NOT talk to me like that!” she said, glaring right back at him.

                “Give me detention, call my dad, do whatever. Just shut your mouth about me. Let’s go Nash,” he said, his grip on my wrist tightening. I winced in pain, and Ms. Michaels noticed.

                “Francis, let go of him! You’re hurt him!” she said.

                “Mind your own business!” Frank snapped.