The Journal {15}

“Emerson!”

                My mom was shaking me. I groaned and rolled over, pulling a pillow over my head. I heard her sigh, and then she was ripping my blankets away from me.

                “Get up! You’re running late!” she said.

                I sat up sleepily and rubbed at my eyes. I forced myself out of bed and mom left my room so that I could get dressed.

                I pulled on clothes and left my bedroom. I went out to the kitchen and mom handed me a granola bar and my car keys.

                “Hey mom…” Eh, it was worth a shot. “Did something bad happen at my school a few years ago?”

                Mom choked on the coffee she had been drinking. “Why are you asking that?” she demanded once she had swallowed down the coffee.

                I looked at her in surprise. “What happened at the school?” My mom actually knew!

                “Emerson, you’re running late for school. Get going,” she said flatly.

                “Mom, what the hell happened at that school?” I asked angrily. Why wouldn’t she just tell me?

                “Emerson, we are not talking about this right now! You’re running late! Get going!” she said.

                Confusion entered me as I saw fear emerging in her eyes. Fear? Why the hell would whatever had happened scare her?

                My dad entered the kitchen. He paused and surveyed our expressions carefully, frowning at the two of us.

                “What happened?” he asked.

                “Emerson is late for school. He needs to leave,” mom said.

                “Something that happened between two guys named Nash and Francis, right?” I pressed.

                Now dad’s face paled. He came over and gave me a light shove out of the kitchen. I glared at him. He knew too.

                “Go on now, Emerson. You’re late for school,” he said.

                “What happened?” I asked in frustration.

                “Go before you’re late!” he snapped.

                “We’ll talk about it when I get home,” I warned him before turning and leaving the house.

                I drove myself to school and went up the hill. My parents knew what had happened here five years ago, and it had even freaked them out. Just what had happened? How bad could it have possibly been?

                Determined more than ever to finish that journal today, I hurried down to the boiler room right after the bell for first period rang. I didn’t want to deal with Matt or Emi yet. I just wanted to finish reading the journal.

                I pulled the journal out and settled back against the wall, flipping it open. I was nearly done with the journal now. I was over half way through it. Just a little longer, and I would finally know what had happened to Nash.

                Everything is all wrong. Everything is falling apart. I think this journal and Francis are the only people I can rely on anymore.