Chapter 2: Many Wonderful Friends

Mulai dari awal

***

"Good Morning Mr Bear, did you sleep well?"

I got up and prepared for school. Just another average day.

I hope I can make a friend today.

***

When I reached class, no one talked to me but it's not like they bully me or anything, just no "Good Morning." like they say to each other. But I still try.

"Good Morning." I say softly to the class and sat at the desk in the middle of the classroom.

They say that popular students always sit in the middle as they have a lot of friends. But I'm not very popular so is it okay if I sit here?

I wonder if someone will come over and tell me to get out of my seat cause I'm not popular. I hope so... cause I'll be able to have someone to talk to. Even if it's just for a few minutes, I'll be satisfied.

But no one did.

I should try talking to them but every time I do, I'll just embarrass myself as the words get stuck in my throat and won't come out as I'm too nervous about finally being able to talk to an actual person instead of my own reflection in the mirror.

***

It's lunchtime now and I'm eating my bento outside, in the maze as I feel too out of place eating in the classroom as some of my classmates stay there for lunch to chat.

Suddenly, I hear someone walking closer which shocked me. I didn't think anyone would be coming here during lunchtime.

I stood there stoned that someone was walking closer and closer to where I was.

It was the brunette girl I saw yesterday.

"Hi." She said when she saw me.

Eh, oh my god. Someone is actually talking to me. What do I do? What do I say? Help me, Mr Bear!!

"h-Hi" I stuttered back.

Her eyes widened slightly as if shocked that I replied to her.

"I'm sorry about yesterday. They can get a bit... You know?"

I'm not sure what to say. What do you normally say in this position?

I just slightly nodded and she looked like she understood.

"Oh, I almost forgot, I'm Haruhi Fujioka but you can call me Haruhi."

Oh my god. I didn't even talk and I can already call her by her first name!! Is this how it works?

Okay calm down Hana, be confident, act natural...

"I-I'm Hana S-satoki, b-but you can c-call me H-hana." I say quietly almost like a whisper.

Damn it, I messed up but I think she heard me as she gave me a small smile.

A-are we friends now? This is great!! But should I ask her first..?

"A-are... e.... ow?"

I muttered softly.

"Erm... Sorry, could you repeat that?" Haruhi says as she comes closer. What do I do?! I've never talked this much with a person before!!

"A-are we f-friends now?" I asked shyly looking down.

The word 'friend' feels so foreign when I say it.

"Yeah.." Haruhi replies.

"That's great... " I muttered to myself as I looked down and found my mouth doing something weird.