Chapter 29

Another double update day!! Aren't you all so lucky? Four chapters in two days!! Enjoy!!!

**********

Beeping. Rustling. Streaks of light. Pain.

I'm not dead. How and the world was I not dead?

My eyelids opened with great force, and Isaac was right there. His hair was a mess, still stained with blood, and it looked like he hadn't had a moment of sleep.

How long had it been? I had no clue.

My hand went to my stomach. The pain radiated from there. A hissing breath went through my teeth as the wound pulled.

"Do you need another dose of morphine?" Isaac asked. He was already pressing a button next to the IV drip, and the warm rush coursed through my body.

My eyes were still slow as I blinked, and each time they closed, images from the battle flashed.

"How many did we lose?" I asked.

"Almost forty."

"How was I not one of them?"

"I honestly have no idea. Somehow that bullet missed everything vital. It's impossible." Isaac shook his head in disbelief. "I was sure we were going to lose you at some point."

"Is that why you're still here?"

"I'm still here because I'm currently the only family you've got." He gave a small smile, but it was forced. "He made it out you know."

My eyebrows pulled together. I couldn't give away that I knew what he was saying.

"Your boyfriend. That was him, wasn't it? I'm nearly certain. He made it out. I shouldn't have let him go."

"Why not?"

"He was with the most dangerous pack we have here, Electra. What in the world was he doing with them?"

"I don't know," I shook my head, "But he couldn't have had anything to do with them."

"He got mad at you for killing that werewolf we had, didn't he? That wolf was part of the pack. Maybe they were closer than you realized. Maybe he had been part of that pack all along."

"No, he wasn't part of that pack. That's impossible. The Alpha that turned him is back in the States."

"That doesn't mean he didn't pledge to another pack. Why else would he be there, Electra?"

"I don't know!" The beeping was closer together and I realized it was my heart rate. I took a deep breath and dropped my head back down to the pillow.

"I don't know what I'm going to say to keep them off you. You're stable and awake now. They're going to use a serum to heal you. They know."

"What sort of serum? What do they know?"

"Something that was researched and perfected. It's made using werewolf DNA." A doctor walked in just then, cutting off whatever else it was he was going to say.

"No, you're not injecting me with anything werewolf!"

Isaac shook his head and Klarke walked through the door. What he'd done out in the woods came back to me.

"You monster! He was a child! You killed a defenseless child!"

"He was no more defenseless than you were. He made his choice." Clark's voice was completely devoid of emotion.