Chapter 13 - Interrogation?

I had been working with The Torch for a solid week, and they still didn't have me doing much. I don't know who's orders that was under, whether Steele was keeping me out of the light, or if their version of Klarke was doing it because he didn't think I would be able to hold my own out in the field. I felt like I was that intern you see in the movies, the girl that always ran and got the coffee or took orders for their lunches. I could see Isaac casting me sorry glances every now and then. He knew I could handle myself out there, he and Steele were the only ones who knew I could. 

Isaac and I were taking lunch together. He suggested we went off the premises and to a little cozy place. When we stepped through the doors, it reminded me of the restaurant Jared and I had been when The Organization had surrounded us. I was momentarily frozen in place. 

A hand on my arm brought me back, and I saw Isaac looking at me strangely. 

"Are you alright?"

"Fine, I'm fine." I pushed us forward not wanting to talk about it. We were seated in a corner and I started to look through the menu after ordering a water. 

"The reason I wanted to take you away from there today was because I wanted to be able to talk freely."

"About the fact that we're related?" I asked. 

"Partially that, but also about something that I've been hearing around the grounds... coming from Klarke."

"What has the almighty Klarke been saying?" I asked. 

"First I'd like to talk about the relation, and your alias."

"Of course you do. I figured this would come up again after the week of silence on that front."

"Why did you choose Jacobson?" Isaac asked ignoring my jab.

"I don't know. It was just the name that came to me. It was a split second decision and it just came out."

"Don't you think that's a little odd?"

"Look in the world we live in, Isaac. I'd say there's a lot of odd things going around. I'm not trying to pull it off as some sort of coincidence, you already know what I think about those. I'm just telling you that I have no clue why I picked it."

Judging by his pursed lips, Isaac wasn't exactly satisfied with my answer. I knew he wanted to get to the bottom of why. Heck, I was curious too, but I had absolutely no clue. I didn't even really want to think about the whole thing because when I did, it sent shivers through me. It made me wonder if maybe there was something wrong with me. Was I some sort of freak or something?

"Fine."

"You're not actually going to drop it though are you?"

"Nope."

"Figured."

Our eyes stayed locked and I took a sip of water. When the waitress came back, I ordered a salad with chicken. She grabbed up our menus and took them away. I waited for her to get far enough away before I spoke again. 

"So what have you been hearing?"

"Sounds like you're going to be on your first job." Isaac leaned forward, placing his arms on the table so I would still be able to hear. 

"I'm leaving the base and going out?"

"Not exactly." I sighed and put my head on my arms. It seemed weird that I wanted to go out and hunt, especially given what I experienced while at Durin's cabin, but I hadn't had the same problems while I was with The Torch. I took comfort in the fact that they only went after the creatures who harmed people instead of killing them all without any regard. From the first day I'd picked up a gun in that range, I hadn't had any problems with holding it.