Chapter 6- Change

James and I had spent all of yesterday discussing the different possibilities for the plan I'd had. We'd also aired out all of our feelings. I think we had a good understanding of where each of us stood. We didn't exactly agree with each other, but that was okay as long as we understood. 

He knew that I couldn't sit by and read about people dying when I knew there was a way to stop it. He also understood that eventually we were going to need more weapons, and getting that around here was going to be impossible. 

I understood that he only wanted to keep me safe. He essentially felt helpless in that way because I always went running after something without knowing what could be waiting for me.

I had agreed to try and think before I acted. That was all I could really offer him because there was no guarentees it would happen. I would try, really try, but this was just something I did without really thinking about it. 

At the end of the day, we'd decided to at least try out The Organization plan. James was going to be close by when we set the plan into motion, watching from somewhere else to make sure nothing went wrong. We had something ready in case they did in fact recognize me on the spot. 

We also had the plan set for how we would go about keeping him out of everything. He was my boyfriend that I was travelling with. Just a human with no clue about any of this and I wanted him to stay that way. 

I was running every aspect of our identites through my mind like I'd done countless times since opening the envelope in the car as we had left his old pack. 

I was now pairing them up with the plan, making sure everything fit in seamlessly. I thought of all the different ways this could all go down. There were two ways that it could go perfectly. There were many ways it could go horribly. 

However, for each of those ways, we had thought of something to counteract it. We had escape plans. 

The door to the room opened and James came in with plastic bags. He set them down on the bed and I went to his side looking at what was there. He started dumping the contents out. 

There was something there that would strip the color in my hair, and another box that would dye it. I wrinkled my nose as I looked at them. I seriously didn't want to do this to my hair. It was probably the only thing about myself that I really liked. Most girls understand what I'm talking about. 

There was a comb and some scissors so I could cut it. We were doing everything in the hotel so that I wouldn't be caught on any cameras outside to show the changes. I didn't want to be picked up by any of that. 

There was also makeup. Tons of makeup. 

I picked up the boxes for my hair and took a deep breath. 

"I guess it's now or never," I sighed. 

James just smiled at me. I glared at him. 

I took the box and started reading the instructions. I followed each one carefully and started putting the solution in my hair that would strip the color from it and make it lighter. We wanted it to look as natural as possible, and having my dark brown hair showing through probably wouldn't be a good way to make that happen. 

When I was done with that and my hair was ready to go for dying I stood at the sink reading the instructions for that box as well. I put on the gloves that came with the dye and started mixing the different contents into the bottle. I shook them together and then I looked at myself in the mirror. 

By this point I was ready to put the dye in. What I saw in the mirror I didn't like at all. 

I started squeezing the dye out into my hair and I massaged it around, working it in and making sure every strand was completely saturated with the strong smelling solution.