55. A Thanksgiving (Part 19)

Start from the beginning

Anna objected "I was going to come with you. I told you, I am tired of running from you. I am tired of avoiding you. I have accepted it that I have to face my problems.."

Arturo coughed "Are you saying I am your problems?"

Anna spoke "Precisely. I have to face you. Either I win or you will. I wont go down without a fight Arturo. If you think I would just let you turn me into an obedient wife, you are wrong. I will be obedient for a month in public because I have lost a bet but then its over. If you want my respect, you have to fight for it just like how I have to fight to earn your respect. You want a woman who does what you tell her to do. I am not that kind of woman. I can't change for you. You have a strict household system. I can't live with you without defying you and challenging you. I can't be just an obedient wife to carry your children. You either go find yourself another woman and I find myself another man or you will let me be myself..."

Arturo narrowed his eyes. "I can't be with another woman. No one is you. If you think I let you run into the arms of another man, think again. I will kill anyone you marry. Anyone. I don't care who they are. I don't care if your husband is a Voltolini or a Marciano or an O'Neil or anyone else... I would kill them. I would kill anyone who comes between us. You are mine Anna. Mine. Don't you ever forget it. Now lets get back to the stunts you pulled out there...."

Anna sighed " First you must tell me what do you want from my father? I will come with you to Italy. Let him go. I have never broken my word when I have lost a bet. have I? I was obedient out there even. I didn't say a word while you talked to O'Neil even though i wanted to rip Sancia to pieces with my words for her insulting stares. I kept quiet. I wont do anything to defy you. Just let my father go."

Arturo pretended to think "Let me think..... No.... Not happening. I do it when I want. You can tell your cousin if you want. But he can't even do anything. Your father trespassed on your uncle Piero's orders. Not Francesco's orders. He defied Francesco. Do you really want me to tell Francesco what your father is upto? Do you want me to tell him that despite warnings to keep away from his uncle Piero and concentrating on doing his duties for him, you father defied Francesco. I don't think you want that. Come with me to Italy and I will let him go if I feel like it...."

Anna groaned "Why are you doing this?" She then walked away and looked out the window closing her eyes. She took a deep breath to compose herself.

Arturo spoke "Enough of distractions. Lets get back to what we came here for? There is no where to run or hide now that I have you within my grasp. Turn around and give me a defense of what you did before I sentence you."

She spoke "You want to sentence me for what?" She then turned around and was about to carry on speaking but her breath hitched as she found him a few feet away as he was taking his coat off.

Arturo took his coat off and threw it on a sofa as he took steps towards Anna making her gulp and step backwards. He was giving her a cold look that he reserved when he was dealing with business. He wasn't nice when he was beings serious. Anna could sense that to his satisfaction and took steps backwards as he walked to her. He taunted "You were saying.... You asked about what I want to sentence you for..... Lets think.... Betraying me."

As Arturo saw in satisfaction how far away Anna was backing away to. She was reaching the far corner. She seemed wary of him. She should have been. He hadn't even decided what to do to her.

Anna's back hit the wall as she was becoming more nervous as Arturo was walking slowly to her. Being alone with a serious looking Arturo never looked so scary. He meant business. His playful tone was not there any more. That was why her father had warned her against being with Arturo. He has advised her that men like Arturo had two sides. One for family and one for business. But sometimes business and family crossed over. She now knew what he meant. The fact of the matter was that Arturo was dangerous if he wanted to be. He could do anything to her. The amount of authority and control he had really scared her.