Chapter 16

On indicating which languages are being spoken:

*means the speaker is speaking in the common tongue.*

"Quotation marks indicate elvish."

***

Dawn Brings Many Things

Dawn had just barely breached the horizon on the day the Fellowship was set to depart the Golden Wood and continue on the road to Mordor. Parties of elves followed the Lord and Lady of the Galadhrim to the banks of the Silverlode where they were to farewell the troupe that carried with them the hopes of Middle Earth. Aeslin managed to insert herself into the procession of supplies, eager to wish the Fellowship well. She had come to know them well during her initial tending of them and in the days that followed.

As it was, she stood next to Haldir when Celeborn had the Fellowship outfitted with Lorien cloaks, fastening the mallorn-leaf pin with care as she stood before a stoic-looking Boromir. The Gondorian met her eyes with hesitation, his thanks barely audible when he spoke. Giving him a reassuring smile, she stepped back, allowing Galadriel to preside over the giving of gifts to the Fellowship. She smiled widely when her brother received a Galadhrim bow, something he had told her he desired long before she had ever left Mirkwood, and a desire she had once told the Lady of during one of their many quiet afternoons in each other's company.

After that, she joined in the loading of the boats the Fellowship were to take. She was distracted, though, by the hobbit named Sam, who was presiding over the packing of his own bags with an almost jealous interest. Gathering up several packets of Lembas-bread she made her way over to him. He looked up, startled as she knelt down beside him, handing over the leaf-bound bundles.

*Thank-you, Milady,* he said bashfully, carefully tucking them away.

*Take this as well, Master Gamgee.* From inside the little purse she had dangling from her belt, she drew out a small, golden blossom. *This is elanor, and it blooms only in Lorien and across the sea. On the road ahead of you there is likely to be little in the way of beauty. Take this,* she pressed the slender stem into his hand, *and let your gardener's heart be eased whenever you look upon it. It will not wither, I have made sure of that.* The hobbit sniffed, holding the flower close as he looked up at the elf in front of him.

*Why do you give this to me,* he whispered. Aeslin smiled, laying a gentle hand on his cheek. In the short time she had known Sam, she had seen the bond of friendship that extended between him and Frodo and the tremendous loyalty and gentleness that filled the gardener.

*Your road is dark, and my heart tells me that much will depend on your strength of spirit. You are stronger than you think, I believe. Let this little bloom remind you of that.* Standing, she turned, returning to the line of elves packing the boats, but not before she saw the hobbit tuck the delicate blossom away with great reverence next to his heart.

Before long the boats were loaded and the travelers were ready to depart. Aeslin approached Legolas without hesitation for one last embrace, straightening his cloak with care as she pulled away.

"You had better come back from this fool's errand." Legolas smiled, brushing a strand of her white-blonde hair away from her face.

"Have I ever broken a promise to you, dear one? I will see you again, of that I have no doubt." There was a shadow in his eyes that worried Aeslin, but she wanted nothing more than to believe her brother's words so she said nothing of it. Leaving a kiss of parting on her cheek, he turned, climbing gracefully into the boat he was to share with the dwarf. Aeslin turned when she felt Aragorn approach behind her. She leveled him with a solemn glance.