Chapter 9

Revelations and Explanations

Before she knew it, Aeslin had reached Galadriel's sitting room. She knew she probably shouldn't barge in without invitation, but her mind was in turmoil, to say nothing of her heart.

She flew through the door, coming to a sudden halt just past the entrance. Galadriel sat with a small book in her hand, while Celeborn sat off to the side, obviously seeing to correspondence.

"My Lady, I am in need of your counsel." She was out of breath, though her heart was pounding for a far different reason. Celeborn looked up, concern written upon his face at her sudden appearance. Galadriel, on the other hand, looked completely nonplussed. In fact, she almost appeared to have been expecting Aeslin to come running in.

Closing her book with care, she stood, giving her husband a reassuring glance before walking forward and guiding Aeslin out of the room. The two began to walk, Galadriel leading the way, although Aeslin suspected there was no real destination in mind. The younger elf held her tongue, afraid of what she might blurt out on impulse.

"You have been speaking with Orophin," the Lady said mildly, as though she were remarking upon something as apparent as the weather. Aeslin drew a shaky breath. She was well used to the Lady's near omnipotence by now, but it still always took her off guard.

"Yes, I have. He said some—some very curious things."

"Curious, how so?" Aeslin looked up at the Lady beside her. Galadriel wore a serene expression, though the faint smile on her lips hinted at something akin to amusement. The young healer knew the Lady was perfectly aware of what Orophin had said, but was waiting for Aeslin to recount it anyway.

"He said Haldir is falling in love with me."

"Oh?" Galadriel's tone was one of feigned surprise, causing Aeslin to frown in exasperation. "Was that all?"

"No," Aeslin admitted after a moment, "he also said I was falling in love Haldir myself." Galadriel looked pleased.

"And that frightens you." It was a statement of fact, one that Aeslin was hard pressed to deny. Tentatively she nodded, once again afraid of what might pass her lips were she to open them. Galadriel lifted the book in her hands, seeming to examine the binding as they walked.

"That is one thing poems of love and songs of romance fail to say." She stopped, turning to face the young elf beside her. Aeslin watched her in fascination. "Falling in love is frightening. It is new and different, a startling feeling to encounter for the first time. Especially for our race, for we love deeply. But it is also wonderful. Embrace it, Aeslin; do not fear love when you meet it, for meet it you will." With a reassuring smile, Galadriel touched Aeslin's face before turning and walking back the way they had come.

Aeslin on the other had, stood where they stopped for several moments longer. Eventually though, she too started walking again, and she didn't stop for a long time. Her thoughts were full of Orophin's words and Galadriel's. One thing was clear, though; that her thoughts kept returning Haldir meant something. She just needed to see him again to find out what.

***

Several months passed, and Aeslin still had not seen Haldir, much less had a chance to speak with him. Her time was spent tending to her duties as a healer and keeping company with Arwen and, on occasion, Galadriel. She didn't speak of Haldir, or of her feelings for him. She kept that to herself, safely hidden away until she could discover the truth of the matter. Thankfully, she had learned patience long ago, though the limits to that patience were being severely tested.

It was only when she began to wonder he was ever going to return from the border that she finally saw him again. Her frustration beginning to get the better of her, she had taken to long walks to try and clear her mind, wandering through Lorien itself, beyond the City of Trees. It was during one of these walks that she found her way to the banks of the Silverlode River. Pleasantly surprised to have come across the River, she settled herself on the bank; content to listen to the gentle song of the water and the pleasing harmony of the trees joining in. It was peaceful there. Elves floated on the river in beautifully crafted boats, laughing and singing along with the melodies of the forest.