The Bar

Prologue

Cathy

Cathy knew what it meant to feel lonely. She knew the consequences of running away as well as the feeling of being left behind. Cathy knew it all and yet she would often repeat every single mistake she had already made in the past, hoping that maybe one day she might get it right. Cathy was a strong girl. She had already been through so much in her life and she knew the results that lay ahead of the decision she had just made.

“Are you still thinking about Carter?” Mina popped her head out of the bed sheet and glanced at Cathy one more time.

“No, I’m not” Cathy glanced back, looking guiltier than she ever had.

“I hope you know you’re lying” Mina twisted her mouth, filled with doubt.

“Go back to sleep. It’s already 12 am. Don’t you have to go to work?”

“I do, but I’m worried” Mina smiled.

“Don’t you worry about me now, I’m sure I’ll get over the things that just happened in the last few days. I always get over things” Cathy sighed.

Mina didn’t speak any further. Although she was really tired, she wanted to keep a check on Cathy just incase, that insane girl needed someone to talk to.

“I’m heading down to Steve’s for a while. I think I may need just one more drink”

“Alright but be back soon” Mina let this one request slip. She knew Cathy was addicted to Steve’s bar and that was the only place in the world that could make her sun, shine again.

Cathy slipped in her black coat since she knew it would be quiet cold in Chicago at this time in the night although it was the end of winter. She stuffed in a couple of dollars in her coat pocket and dragged herself out of the apartment and out into the wet night.

The streets were cleared of snow and she gracefully walked down a few blocks till she reached ‘The Bar’ and stopped right outside. For the first time, she was in a dilemma. She never believed in taking time to make decisions. It wasn’t because she was impulsive or because she liked making quick decisions. No, it was none of that. The truth been told? She was impatient and was always in a hurry.

“Beautiful night isn’t it?” A man with a hoarse voice spoke behind her and Cathy almost jumped to her feet.

“Jeez Josh, don’t scare me like that” she slapped his shoulder and sighed.

“Care for a walk?” he suggested and Cathy agreed.

She pulled her black, long strand of hair behind her ear and sniffed in the icy night. Josh seemed like he was having a great time watching his sister suffer for the decision she had just made a few days ago. He always wanted Cathy to understand that pushing people away or making impulsive decisions could have major setbacks in her life. He loved her to the bottom of his heart but he had no other option but let Cathy make this one, major decision by herself.

 “Don’t just walk with me. Tell me what are you doing here, in this side of town?”

“I thought maybe you needed to talk” Josh looked down at his feet and then at the street in front of him.

“I don’t need to talk. I’m doing fine.” Cathy rubbed her nose with her hand and looked ahead too.

“I don’t think you’re doing fine” Josh slipped a small laugh.

“I’m fine, Josh. Can’t you see? I am perfectly fine. In fact I’m doing so well that tonight when I stopped in front of The Bar it wasn’t because I was confused or afraid to go back in but in reality I didn’t feel like having my usual drink. I just wanted to be alone”

“You never want to be alone Cathy. In fact you purposely try being alone so people wonder what’s wrong with you and then they come ask you and sympathise with you so that you can grab some attention and become okay again.” Josh controlled his laughter this time because he knew those words were the truth she would never admit it.

“Are you serious? Who told you these things? Who told you that I think like that??” Cathy looked at her brother irritated. She knew he was often right about her but this went way too far.

“I know you since what… 19 years? Isn’t it obvious I would know so much about you?”

“Hey 19 years? What bullshit Josh. What are you like 19 and I’m like 21… and, oh yes. 19 years it is.” Cathy scratched her head and looked away.

“You always sucked at math or even the basic understanding that I know you ever since I was born” Her brother nodded in disappointment.

“Okay okay, whatever, do you want to continue walking or what?”

Josh and Cathy walked around for a while. Sometimes talking about the past and sometimes trying to figure out where Cathy would go from here onwards. She was too young to feel entitled making major decisions on her own but her age was only a number. Her mind was very much older than the rest of the girls that went to the same college as she did. Her parents had completely trusted her and so did her brother but the past year had been different for the Andersons. Cathy, out of all, was the one that learnt the truth about real friendship, love and standing on one’s own feet.

She thought that her riveting personality and strong upbringing would get her through everything such as a road block or a major disaster but even with infinite amount of training, everyone knew that life was an unpredictable hurricane and that even the most well-known experts would not be able to get through all of the damage that it created.

“Don’t you think you should head home now?” Josh looked at her worried, “It’s getting really late.”

“I know but could you just stay with me a little while longer? I maybe need you by my side tonight.”

“Sure but you know how worried mom and dad would get about the both of us, if we stayed together this long! I mean they know I drove all the way here to come meet you.”

“What? You told them!” Cathy felt a rush of emotions stirring inside of her.

“Of course I would tell them! They knew how much the past few months meant to you! –

“But I haven’t change. Things are changing. I made a choice and now things are changing not me!”

“You had to tell mom and dad but you didn’t and I did it for you” Josh tried calming Cathy down.

“Just go home Josh. I need some time alone” Cathy moved away.

“You have never needed time alone Cathy, c’mon!” he begged.

“I do now! Goodbye Josh!” Cathy walked away, without turning behind. It was time to think things over. The choices she had made were doing no good. It was killing her internally and nothing, not even her regular drink or even chocolate was going to solve this hollow feeling inside of her.

The BarOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara