12 - Cathy

12

Cathy

“Hi” Cathy choked. What else could she have said?

“Hi” Carter gave her a charming smile.

“Um, can’t you see we are talking out here?” Ashley interrupted the strong connection that easily arose between Cathy and Carter when they were next to each other.

“Well I think you’re done” Mina cut in, “Don’t you have Max’s tail to sniff right now?” she gave her a warning look and watched Ashley frown silently and walk away. Cathy gave Mina a surprised look and Carter was grinning away at the way his employee had saved him from one of the most annoying girls he had been talking to.

“How are you this afternoon?” Cathy smiled, trying to be polite and less shocked about the fact she knew exactly who he was.

“It’s much better after talking with you” Carter took a sip of the champagne he was holding.

“Go on” Mina whispered but it was loud enough for Carter to get the clue.

“Okay, um so my parents are having a small dinner get – together tonight and they insist that I get a friend along. Max seems to be preoccupied and Mina said she has work. Since you’re the only third friend I have, do you want to…maybe…come?” Cathy ignored her fast beating heart and sweaty palms, hoping she wouldn’t be rejected.

“I don’t think I can think of a better thing to do tonight” Carter smiled naughtily as he eyed Mina.

“Good, well meet me at the gate at 4pm, I’ll guide you from there on” Cathy informed him.

“Great see you at 4” Carter nodded.

Cathy still had an hour to spend while she anxiously waited for the clock to strike 4. Nothing so intriguing and challenging had Cathy faced before that made her heart flutter and her head spin. She hated the way she could feel every second tick by and that often Carter would glace at her from time to time like he had planned something not-so-in her expectations for the dinner tonight.

Cathy jumped at the sound of every approaching character and then sighed as they just merely passed by her to get to the lawn. The sun was calming down and the sky got bluer. Cathy started to feel light on her toes as she got used to her heels and walked around Max’s slash Carter’s house.

“I still cannot believe they are related” Cathy sighed as she looked towards Mina.

“Me neither, took me a while to register it too” Mina walked around, next to Cathy.

“The mystery, the romance the unexpected meetings, it’s all over, I feel like the magic has evaporated.” Cathy frowned.

“What if he marries you, will you be my boss’s wife?” Mina panicked and held Cathy’s hand.

“I’m getting a slight feeling like we two are diverting in the opposite direction” Cathy rolled her eyes. “Forget about marriage, he should like me in the first place. Kiss me, tell me something. Maybe a future plan or at least try asking me out?” Cathy looked hopelessly into Mina’s eyes.

“He will, just give him time” Mina reassured her as she shook her head in denial about the marriage thought.

“That’s the thing Mina, he’s a player, players don’t settle and he’s older than me that is another thing I’m not very sure about. My parents would freak if they thought I like a guy quite older than my age” Cathy looked at Mina dully.

“What’s going on with Max?” Mina changed the topic.

“Max, is just like Carter, diverted in life. He said we should meet for ice cream and then he said he had to go find Mia that’s the girl who crushes on him.” Cathy shrugged.