9 - Cathy

9

Cathy

Cathy sat next to the window in her room, peering unto to the streets again.  There weren’t many pedestrians around. Cathy clutched the fund raiser invite closer to her fingers. It was tomorrow and she wasn’t so sure anymore if she should go for it. ‘What if my parents come to it or my brother? They would start paring Max and me together, for gods sake!’ Cathy thought.

Cathy was about to look away when she saw Mina crossing the street. Cathy looked at the clock in her room. It was 4pm, Mina was on time for their shopping spree which was going to be on Forest Glen street.

In no time, Cathy ran into the hall and caught Mina walking in silently.

“You’re on time!” she jumped with joy.

“Just like I promised” Mina winked.

“Alright so everything is ready, we just have to leave”

“Ya sure, just let me change my clothes” Mina walked into her room and within the next few minutes she came out in her causal jeans and frilly top.

They got into Cathy’s car and Cathy drove to Forest Glen.

“So just to be sure about tomorrows plan, the fund raiser is at 9 am at this beautiful castle, of this cute school guy you were crushing on called Max but then you met a guy called Carter and now you don’t care about Max but your nuts about Carter although you’ve only met him once, properly, yet you’re going for the fund raiser where you might meet Max, where possibly your parents might attend pairing you and Max up which might totally embarrass the geebies out you.” Mina took in a deep breath, “And to add to it all, you invited me as your plus one to the fundraiser and after that your parents want you to get a friend, which is obviously going to be me to their place for dinner!”  

“Yup that’s the gist, the only problem is, I don’t like Carter, I barely remember him” Cathy lied.

“So you don’t like Carter or Max?” Mina was getting confused.

“No no, I hate Max’s guts, I like him if he likes me, he’s not that bad, and as far as Carter goes, he’s a stranger, a total stranger!”

“Oh god this is confusing. Okay so Carter is out of the picture right?” Mina confirmed.

“Totally! He’s a stranger!”

“Alright. Now I have a different question for you” Mina turned to look at Cathy while she was still driving.

“Shoot” Cathy glimpsed back at her.

“What if you don’t have a friend to take to your parent’s dinner?” Mina bit her lips.

“What do you mean? You said last night you would!”

“Well, I have news, I got promoted!!” Mina clapped excited.

“WHAT! That is superb!!” Cathy exclaimed.

“Ya, and tomorrow’s a Saturday. The fund raiser is in the morning till late afternoon. I’m in charge of the entire branch now, my boss is expanding and he needs my help with selecting the new staff for the other branch plus the restaurants always packed Saturday nights, so I can make it the morning, the dinner is the problem…” Mina fidgeted with her fingers.

“No no no no no, this can’t be happening, I promised my parents! I can’t go their alone! My parents are crazy!! ”

“I know, can’t you take someone else? It would be really nice if you could. I could maybe ask my boss if it’s alright if I don’t come in tomorrow, my boss seems like a great guy, probably single and he’s quiet hot, anyways I can try getting out of work but in case I can’t at least I warned you.”