✙ Chapter 24 ✙

-Author's note at the end -

*Five Months Later*

Sitting on the side of the street, I pulled out the bottle. I stared at it for a long moment, questioning whether or not it was a good idea to take a swallow. If I wanted to calm my nerves, this was the easiest way. Hell, I had never been a fan of alcohol, but under these circumstances, I felt as if a quick slurp was necessary. I gently shook the bottle, before taking a quick whiff - it wasn't pleasant. I glanced around, surrounded by trees and open land. I was here; I had come this far. Whatever. I tilted my head back and took a quick swallow, feeling the burn all the way down the back of my throat.

With a gag, I twisted the top back on and placed the bottle in my backseat. Then, I turned the rearview mirror, double-checking my reflection. My brown hair was braided back into a bun, which took me almost an hour to accomplish. Mascara cloaked my eyelashes and a berry-colored lipstick covered my lips. My necklace, the one with the letter 'T', given to me by Temp, hung around my neck, falling just below my collarbone where my lace, pale pink dress started. I rubbed my lips together and tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear - it was going to have to do.

Nervously, I grabbed my purse and stepped out of my car, balancing in my heels. I rummaged through my purse until I found the invitation, quickly checking to make sure I had the right place. I did. After several moments of hesitation, I headed into the nearest clump of trees, using the trunks of trees to keep my balance. It probably wasn't a good idea to wear heels. I walked and walked, worried that I was going to twist an ankle.

Eventually, my eyes landed on my destination. Yellow lilies. White chairs, wrapped with a green cloth. Since the sun was beginning to set, the lights dangling from the branches really shined. My eyes skimmed over the beautiful setup, before skimming the people. Familiar faces filled my vision, all reunited. The first person to notice me approached me with a beaming smile. Brody. He was wearing a white tuxedo and his hair was much longer now, nearly reaching his shoulders. "You came!"

"Uh, yeah," I managed, before he pulled me into a warm hug. "How are you?"

"Things are getting better," he answered, his smile nearly dropping. "I mean, it's not getting any easier without Cole here, but um, I'm dealing. I have a niece now!" He gestured to Katie who was now approaching me, holding an adorable baby. The baby was wearing a white dress with pink socks and a patterned beanie on her head.

Katie smiled at me, her blonde hair braided back, decorated with flowers. "Hey there."

I grinned. "Hey there - what's her name?"

"Well, I originally was going to name her Britney," Katie told me, gently rocking the baby back and forth in her arms. "But, I decided to change it at last minute." With rosy cheeks, Katie peered down at her daughter, looking happier than I had ever seen her before. "This is Nicole Jay Phillips."

Brody stroked the baby's cheek. "Isn't she beautiful?"

"She has her daddy's eyes," Katie whispered, smiling. I had never met Katie's lover. I knew he had passed away during the fight against the government, but that was all I knew. My smile stretched as I watched the baby start to suck on her thumb. Nicole Jay Phillips. It was fitting. Before I could say anything else, another familiar face filled my vision.

Emma.

Her auburn hair was down, cascading down her shoulders in thick waves. Her makeup was beautiful - red lipstick, brown and gold eyeshadow, and pink cheeks. Like me, she was wearing a lace dress, but hers was a sky blue color with a pair of white heels that were already getting dirty from the dirt. She pulled me into a hug, seeming relieved to see me. "Oh, I didn't think you were going to show up! Thank God!"