✙ Chapter 22 ✙

Hey! Another chapter! Don't hate me too much after this! :/ And, I'm sorry it's on the shorter side! It's the best I could do!

~ Lissa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard the shot over all of them.

The bullet slammed into my upper thigh, almost a heated punch, that knocked me to the ground in surprise. I sprawled backwards onto my back with a shout, the gun slipping from my hands. As Kolton started firing away, hovering above me, I listened to the blood rushing in my ears. As my breathing increased, I began panicking in my head. I was just shot - I was bleeding profusely. Grabbing my gun, I slowly sat forward, peering at the bullet hole. I started panicking even more when I noticed that my blood was mixing with the blood already on the grass.

Kolton grabbed my upper arms and pulled me to my feet. "Shit, that's bad."

A wave of dizziness washed over me and I grabbed at his hands, forcing him to put me back down. Lying on my back, bleeding out, I listened to the cries of pain and furious growls from around me. Cautiously, Kolton knelt down beside me, pressing his warm hand against my forehead. "Hey, look at me. Don't close your eyes." He ripped off the sleeve of his shirt and tied it around my wound - strangely, I didn't feel anything. "Thea, look at me. Breathe."

"THEA!"

The familiar voice was a relief. A tear escaped my eye, rolling down my temple, as I watched Ethen rush towards me. The look of concern and anger on his face was terrifying. When he reached me, he shoved Kolton away, replacing his spot next to me. I looked into his emerald eyes, struggling to hold back the tears threatening to spill. Was I going to die? Already? I had witnessed two deaths - Pete and Noah - did I want to see anymore? Or, did I just want it to be over with? Ethen grabbed my hand, his black hair matted to his sweaty forehead.

"It's going to be okay," he assured, before his canines extracted. A murderous red invaded his eyes, followed by him chomping into his wrist. With wide eyes, I watched as he moved his bleeding wrist to my mouth - I turned my head, disgusted. Impatiently, he released my hand and grabbed my chin, forcing my face upright and shoving his wrist into my mouth. His blood dripped down my throat and I had no choice, but to swallow. A warm feeling spread up my leg and with a quick glance to my thigh, he leaned backwards, his wrist leaving my lips. "There, I got you."

Confused, I slowly sat forward, peering at my healed thigh.

Kolton shook his head. "The power of mates."

"You healed me," I processed, stunned. "It d-doesn't hurt."

"You need to leave," Ethen told me, seriously. "Kolton, get her out of here. That's an order." Kolton nodded and my eyebrows raised - he had listened to Ethen so quickly. I was expecting an argument, maybe a snide remark from him. Ethen grabbed my upper arm, sending sparks throughout me, and helped me to my feet. "Please, I need you somewhere safe."

I frowned. "I want to be here with you. I want to fight and help -"

"Thea, I can't lose you," he interrupted, pain evident on his face. "If I lose you, I will no reason to continue living, understand? If you die, I do too." I sputtered for a moment, searching for words, but I couldn't produce any. "Come on, we still have a chance at a happily ever after. Just leave. I want to know you're safe and I want to be able to come find you when this is all over. You're my prize - and no one plays a game if there isn't a prize involved."

"And, you're my prize," I responded, shakily. "I can't lose you either."

"I will be safer with you gone."