✙ Chapter 21 ✙

Hey! Another chapter so soon? Yes, indeed!

If you guys really want the water works, play the music while reading. I'm sorry for any emotional pain that you'll feel from here on out.

~ Lissa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the helicopters crashed into the side of the bowling alley. The loud boom! caused my knees to wobble beneath me and my ears to ring. Debris shot up into the air; fire and smoke billowed up. I remained standing, feeling uneasy and concerned. The bowling alley was slowing burning to the ground - ashes were floating around me like snow. When I breathed in a mouthful, I covered my mouth and coughed with my eyes burning. Emma pulled Katie closer to her and started speaking, but my ears were still ringing. I couldn't hear her - I watched her lips, noticing the frantic movement of them and the beads of sweat on her forehead. "Katie. . . out. . . here. . ." The only words that I had managed to read from her mouth.

I nodded in agreement. It was far too dangerous for Katie to be there. She couldn't run. She couldn't defend herself. My eyes skimmed across the bloody, chaotic mess in front of me - it was impossible to find Temp or Ethen among the hundreds of them. There were multiple fires, numerous dead bodies, and heavy weaponry. One of the brothers, located somewhere, was preventing hovering helicopters from firing down; they all went crashing.

Emma nudged my arm. "I'm getting her out of here!"

Finally being able to hear, I looked between her and Katie. "Where? How?" It was dangerous. There were too many fighters, too many soldiers, to escape without being seen.

"She can't stay here," Emma replied, desperately. "I'm just - I'm going to try to get us away from here." She lifted her gun, shakily inhaling. "I survived dicks with teeth and claws - I can survive dicks with guns." Despite the horrible situation, her words caused me to grin. She looked at Brody who was clinging to his sister's side, eyes wide. "Are you coming with us?"

Panicking, he nodded. "Yes!"

Emma looked at me. "And what about you?"

"I can't leave," I told her, cautiously eyeing our surroundings. "Go. Stay safe." She hesitated, before accepting my decision. Grabbing Katie's hand, she started hurriedly walking away with Brody following on their heels. I swallowed when Brody turned his head, looking at me with his sad, warm eyes. I forced a grin, before beckoning him to move along - he was just trying to memorize my face, just in case it was that last time he ever saw me.

Distracted by this silent communication, the next explosion took me by surprise. It rocked the ground, knocking me sideways. The acrid smell of smoke stung my nose and I breathed it in as I collapsed to the grassy ground. Above me, there were spinning helicopters, swirls of smoke, and floating ashes. The sky could've been mistaken for being on fire. A shrill roar filled the air, sending chills shooting down my spine - an Alpha's howl. Drew's? It sounded like a howl of rage, of revenge. Sitting forward, my head was throbbing and my world was spinning.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and grabbed my gun from the ground, which had slipped from my hold. When I turned my head, I spotted a nearby werewolf fighting against two soldiers, backing up towards me. I squeezed my eyes shut, afraid of being crushed, but I wasn't. Instead, an arm slipped around my waist and lifted me to my feet. I gasped in fear and opened my eyes, shocked to see the familiar face of Kolton.

Blood was smeared on his left cheek, his right eye was swollen shut, and his clothes were terribly torn. He looked broken. His eyes, which always showed so much hatred towards me, carried no strife. No anger. No concern. Nothing. His hand moved to my upper arm, gripping it tightly. Was he going to hurt me? I tightened my hold on my gun, secretly pointing it towards his thigh, my finger lingering on the trigger. He released a laugh, one that wasn't filled with humor or anger. "You know, you steal my pack and now, you're stealing my battle."